ZoneAlarm Settings

I start Outlook Express. As soon as this application starts, ZoneAlarm Security Alert comes out. Repeat Program 'Do you want Cicero Loader to access or launch other programs?' Application: CTFMON.EXE Action: OpenProcess SmartDefense Advisor is not available for this alertype. Initially there is no check box 'Remember this setting'.

I click 'Deny'. It looks that another but identical pop-up window ZoneAlarm Security Alert (like previous one) shows up except there is check box 'Remember this setting'. Now problem is that alert window will not go away regardless how many times clicking button 'Deny' (or even 'Allow') plus marking that status to 'remember'. That window stays on the screen until I shutdown ZoneAlarm. It is not 'modal' process, which means that you can continue working with Outlook Express, or any other windows application.

My question is how to close that ZoneAlarm Security Alert, without shutting down Zone Alarm. I do not want to remove Cicero Loader (ctfmon.exe) from the operating system, but to set ZoneAlarm to properly handle that windows application.

P.S. While I am typing this letter ZoneAlarm Security Alert is still sitting in the corner of my computer and watching me...

Reply to
PavelK
Loading thread data ...

Perhaps you just didn't realize, what your problems really are.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

If I understand you correctly, I would answer that it is not a virus problem. I am pretty sure there are persons out there who faced this problem already and can provide resolution. ZoneAlarm settings are very much 'black box' for users and the best is, in my opinion, to follow good practices rather than experimenting on your own (could compromise computer security).

Thanks anyway.

Pavel

Reply to
PavelK

Yes. It's just the problem, that Zone Alarm (like many "Personal Firewalls") is b0rken by design.

You don't want to remove it, so you will not solve your problems.

Why then not removing Zone Alarm?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

You could also try switching from windows to OpenBSD and using PF as your firewall. Of course there is a rather steep learning curve.

Reply to
dfeustel

'remember'.

Click on the link to ZoneLabs User Forums (inside the ZoneAlarm Help file). If you ask your question there, you'll probably get more constructive help. You can also do a search of the forums there.

Good luck. charlie R

Reply to
charlie R

The person can barely use ZA and you make a suggestion about switching O/S?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I used to run Windows (with MKS Toolkit too). ZA's warning messages about MS modules trying to call home are what made me switch to OpenBSD. Best thing I've done in years. Now running in text mode only because of the big security hole opened up by giving video cards access to main memory (google loic duflot).

Reply to
dfeustel

You can turn it off on some PFW's

I have never had a problem and I don't run PFW(s) on my network. However, I do use one on this machine while sitting in this hotel room, as I got no choice. But the App Control is disabled, which I did long ago.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks.

Pavel

Reply to
PavelK

Set trusted level for that app. to super (OS "firewall"), and check Allow application interaction option in options tab for that app. But note that ctfmon.exe is also a process name of some malware, ctfmon.exe should be located in %system% folder (system32 if you running WindowsXP).

If that don't work, try to reinstall ZA (clean install), if that fail think about turning off application control until you find solution. There are other personal firewalls too.

If you want to turn of application control, just set the program control to off.

Reply to
alf

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.