How can I make sure I use Zonealarm not Microsoft firewall

My Compaq Presario M2010 laptop never ran Zonealarm properly since I bought it about seven months ago. I run Zonealarm on my desktop for no problem, but for some reason, on the laptop, the Microsoft firewall seems to not allow it to start up.

Can someone tell me the steps that can insure me that Zonealarm will take over the process and not Microsoft? It may be I'm using a newer installation of XP or something I do not know about.

I feel that the XP firewall is not operating properly as the laptop tends to get sluggish with multitasking, and I have no indication of what is actually being blocked, and so on.

Thanks for your help.

-- Robert Pearson ParaMind Brainstorming Software

formatting link
Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Music
formatting link

Reply to
telicalbook
Loading thread data ...

What version of Zone Alarm are you using? I know the latest update caused my own laptop (running XP-Home) to get sluggish because it was loading and stopping ZoneAlarm on an endless loop.

Make sure your ZoneAlarm installation is installed correctly before you turn off the Windows Firewall... or unplug yourself from the world.

Disabling is easy... Right click on your net connection, click the ADVANCED tab, and then UNCHECK the box for Internet Connection Firewall.

Reply to
Ryan P.

Thanks for your help. It is ZA 5.5. I had my Firewall unchecked. No idea how that happened. At least I'm focusing on getting this together. The problem before was that ZA wasn't starting even though it was in Startup.

-- Robert Pearson ParaMind Brainstorming Software

formatting link
Virtue Press/Telical Books/Regenerative Music
formatting link

Reply to
telicalbook

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.