Zone Alarm & Skype

I have ZoneAlarm V 6.5.731.000 (Free version, not the Pro) and Windows XP. I am not able to get Skype to work with it.

Skype works fine when ZoneAlarm is shutdown. But when ZonaAlarm is running, it immediately makes my Skype off-line; when I try to set it to on-line nothing happens. I cannot do the Skype Test call - green phone is greyed out, I cannot click it.

Skype's on-line documentation says I should go to my Zone Alarm and within Programme Control change the access to a tick mark - but there is no entry for Skype there. It won't allow me to add an entry for Skype - nothing happens when I add the entry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards - JW

Reply to
John Wright
Loading thread data ...

Sincere condolences.

Why not just using the Windows-Firewall then?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Refer to

formatting link
to see what ZoneAlarm stops that Windows Firewall doesn't.

Regards - JW

Reply to
John Wright

And then we are - once again - back in the good old and everlasting discussion about the reliability of "outbound connection control".

/B. Nice

Reply to
B. Nice

From that:

| Software firewalls do something that SP2's firewall does not do--block | and filter outbound connections as well.

Why filtering outbound is useless and even counterproductive, you can read in many threads here.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Did you install ZA as admin and Skype while as a user? That could cause what you are (not) seeing.

Reply to
ArtDent

"ArtDent" wrote

To make sure, I uninstalled Skype and reinstalled it while as Admin user. Same result as before. I shutdown ZA, now I can do a Skype Test Call successfully. Then started ZA, now Skype Test Call doesn't work. Put Skype in offline then tried to get back to on-line - it stays off-line. Exited Skype, restarted it - can't logon, ZA has blocked communication to Skype server.

Regards - JW

Reply to
John Wright

Can you see it in the program list now? To change its permissions manually? I presume / hope it isn't that you installed ZA as user.

Reply to
ArtDent

Why don't you try posting to a ZA NG where they can help you.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"ArtDent" wrote

No, I cannot see it.

No, I installed ZA as admin.

Regards - JW

Reply to
John Wright

"Duane Arnold" wrote

There isn't any ZA NG - I thought this one was the closest to the topic. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Regards - JW

Reply to
John Wright

long

formatting link
short
formatting link
Google is your friend.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

John Wright schrieb:

So you found the cause yourself. Why do you ask here?

Regards Thomas

Reply to
Thomas

I think Duane is right that your best help would probably come over in that ZA forum. Do a search there to see if anybody else has had the same problem and if they were able to resolve it. If nothing, then ask there. It could be something simple, it could be something 'tricky', it could be an incompatibility that will need a patch from either Skype or ZA or both. I know this isn't all that helpful, but maybe get you pointed in the right direction at least. I don't remember if you said, did you email both their support@'s about this?

Reply to
ArtDent

Skype uses ports 80+443, so you need to allow in/out any ip ports 80,443 you may also need to PORT FORWARD these ports in your router

fyi: google for 'Skype port usage'

(sorry the boys like to play king of the mountain here instead of addressing your needs)

Reply to
Jeff B

"Jeff B" wrote

I simply uninstalled ZA and re-installed it, and Skype works perfectly now, there is indeed an entry in the Programme Control list now. Don't know why it didn't work with the version I had before, which was up-to-date.

Thanks very much for your helpful remarks.

Regards - JW

Reply to
John Wright

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.