vty and privileged mode

I have a really weired problem with one of my switches.

I have removed the "privilege level 15" line from my vty 0-4, saved the changes and exited the switch. When I try to login to the switch immediately after that, it logs me in in user exec mode (which is expected and desired), to my surprise logging in few hours later logs me in directly to the privileged mode. When I list the running configuration I can see that the "privilege level 15" line is back in the vty 0-4 configuration section. I am 100% sure that no one logs into this switch and changes the running configuration. Any idea what is happening here? I am about to start believing in smurfs :-)

Thanks, AL

Reply to
aleu
Loading thread data ...

Did you save it? Did it reload?

Reply to
Trendkill

Yes, I did save it and the switch did not reload. I am 100% sure of that. That's why I am loosing my mind and start seeing smurfs :-)

Reply to
aleu

Do you have tacacs or some sort of aaa setup? Please paste the config with passwords and other confidential information omitted.

Reply to
Trendkill

Yes, I have tacacs configured on this switch. Here is the relevant info:

aaa new-model aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ local aaa authentication enable default group tacacs+ enable aaa accounting exec default start-stop group tacacs+ aaa session-id common tacacs-server host 192.168.11.7 tacacs-server host 192.168.11.8

Reply to
aleu

Ok, this looks good, and you don't have this applied on the vtys at all? Do you have privilege level 15 setup for the group that your ID is in in tacacs? I guess all of this may be moot if you are saying that the command got re-put in. At its base, either you put it in on a different device (i know, dumb statement), it got reverted on reboot if you didn't save, someone else put the config back, or tacacs is overriding regardless. I guess you could have Ciscoworks or something that is overwriting the config, but you would probably know that if you had something like that setup. Anything in the logs about changed config?

Reply to
Trendkill

Thanks for your response. Yes, these are not applied on my VTYs. This is the only switch which shows this extremely bizarre behavior using the same TACACs server as around 50 other routers and switches. So I believe there is no problem on the TACACs server side. I do not use Ciscoworks and as mentioned earlier I am 100% sure that I have saved the changes and the switch did not reboot. I will monitor the logs and hopefully find the reason of this behavior. Thanks for your input.

AL

Reply to
aleu

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.