SSH Problem Incoming

I have telnet blocked for management access on my Cisco 871 SOHO router.

From inside my network, I use Putty.exe to access the user interface. When I access it, I first get a prompt for my user name and then my password (I am using login local).

From outside my network, if you use Putty.exe to access the user interface, you immediately get a password prompt (no prompt for a user ID).

I can't seem to figure out why this is happening.

Does anyone have any educated guesses?

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson
Loading thread data ...

Hi Fred,

This is because of different access Points in your Cisco Device. Console access is local to the device trough the CON port of the device, while Telnet is though the VTY Port. If you look at each of those you will see why this is happening. My guess is that you have set up security for your CONSOLE port but not your VTY port.

Cheers......................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Thanks for the response but no.

I checked that. I have 'login local' on both the vty and the con port.

Regards,

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Can you post the current configs for the USERNAME, CONSOLE and VTY ports please. Please ensure the Passwords are hidden. Here is a sample of the partial configs from my Cisco 827 here at home. EG: -

username peter privilege 15 password xxxxxxxx

and

access-list 120 permit tcp a.b.c.d 0.0.0.255 any access-list 120 deny tcp any any range 0 65535 log access-list 120 deny ip any any log

line con 0 exec-timeout 15 0 password xxxxxxxx stopbits 1 line vty 0 4 access-class 120 in exec-timeout 15 0 password xxxxxxxx transport input telnet ssh !

Using this I can access the device via its console port or via TELNET/SSH

Note that I have TELNET/SSH disabled outbound from the Router, IE it ony lallows inbound acess. ACL 120 ensures that the Source is from my Local LAN and nowhere else. It logs all other attempts.

Cheers.................pk.

Reply to
Peter

Peter,

It was finally got it resolved though I'm still not sure how the problem cleared.

Thanks for your response.

Fred

Reply to
Fred Atkinson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.