No link with Cisco 828 and new dslam

Hi

So our ISP upgraded some hardware and new dslam (probably some Siemens system) and now Cisco 828 is unable to establish a link between that new hardware. I have taken some debug logging from the router, and it seems that Cisco gets the link for about a second or two, but after that the dslam immediately drops the link. Before the upgrade everything was working fine, and it would be great if I could get that Cisco router working again. Would it be possible to upgrade the IOS with a newer version that could solve the issue? Current version is:

IOS (tm) C828 Software (C828-Y6-M), Version 12.2(1)XE2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Synched to technology version 12.2(0.11)T

System image file is "flash:c828-y6-mz.122-1.XE2.bin"

CISCO C828 (MPC855T) processor (revision 0x201) with 31744K/1024K bytes of memory. Processor board ID JAD062106H0 (1489037529), with hardware revision 0000 CPU rev number 5

The debug log can be found here:

formatting link
The interface section in the config file looks like this (I have tried many different settings with same success):

interface ATM0 ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x no atm ilmi-keepalive pvc 0/100 encapsulation aal5snap ! dsl equipment-type CPE dsl operating-mode GSHDSL symmetric annex B dsl linerate 2312 !

Lets hope there is something to do :)

Regards,

Reply to
Miika Pekkarinen
Loading thread data ...

did you try linerate auto ?

Reply to
Merv

Yes, I tried that also but with the same results. Modem establishes a link and even receives a few packets but suddenly (in 1s or so) the link drops and all link leds go off.

Reply to
Miika Pekkarinen

Hi Miika,

Could it be a a problem with max packet size ( i.e. receives a few packets before dropping ) ?

Sincerely,

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Cisco Jobs

formatting link
Hendersonville Road, Suite 17 Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803 USA & Canada: 877-549-2680 International: 828-277-7272 Fax: 775-254-3558 AIM: R2MGrant BradReese.Com - Cisco Resumes
formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

There seem to me to be a few possibilities.

1. There is a low level dsl issue. Solution - upgrage IOS

1. The ISP no longer supports your settings but they did before the change.

2. The DSL level is OK however a higher level protocol at the ISP end is getting upset at you and is tearing down the connection.

I have posted what we use in the UK for SDSL Internet. This is an 878.

controller DSL 0 mode atm line-term cpe line-mode 2-wire line-zero dsl-mode shdsl symmetric annex B line-rate auto

interface ATM0 no ip address ip virtual-reassembly atm ilmi-keepalive pvc 0/38 encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer dialer pool-member 1

interface Dialer0 ip address negotiated encapsulation ppp dialer pool 1 dialer-group 1 ppp authentication chap callin ppp chap hostname xxxx ppp chap password 7 xxxxx ppp ipcp dns request crypto map xxx

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0

I have just noticed that there is no dialer-list on this router but it is working???

Please post the outcome.

Reply to
anybody43

This seems to be the more likely issue as I have tried everything now I can think about. Then the only problem would be how to get a new IOS as I don't have any service contract with Cisco. I will try to contact them by email to see if they could provide the IOS.

They did small changes but that doesn't seem to be the issue because ZyXEL modem can establish a link even with incorrect settings but it has other more serious issues which Cisco didn't have (for example halting data connection for a few minutes several times a day and even the whole device crashes and reboots once for a while).

If I have understood correctly, the link should stay up even with minimal configuration (only ATM interface configured with correct DSL parameters). It worked before but wont no longer.

This shouldn't be an issue as our ISP doesn't use PPP. It uses RFC1483 AAL5/LLC encapsulation that I have also enabled on the PVC.

Lets hope this great device still works one day again :)

Reply to
Miika Pekkarinen

Hi Miika,

Your Cisco Systems Contact Information:

Suomi Website:

formatting link
Cisco Sales Office:

formatting link
Cisco TAC Contact:

formatting link
Hope this helps.

Brad Reese BradReese.Com - Global Cisco Systems Pre-Sales Support

formatting link

Reply to
www.BradReese.Com

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the information. I will try to contact Cisco tomorrow.

Reply to
Miika Pekkarinen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.