Linksys WRT54G v2 and iBM T40 wireless access - need help

I have recently installed a linksys WRT54g v2 wireless router which works fine with a hardwired PC to connect to the internet. I have therefore updated the firmware to v4.20.7, Aug. 18, 2005.

i am trying to connect to the internet from my laptop (IBM T40 with mini PCI wireless card 802.11b) i can see the router with a strong connection in the netowrk connections window of XP. but when i hit the connect button all i get a window showing a green ball pinging between a pc and laptop. after awhile it returns me to the available networks window with no error or comment message.

i have set the router to mixed to allow 802.11b and 802.11g connections. Encryption on the router is set to WEP and on the laptop i have tried both automatic key settings as well as the 10 hex digits generated by the passkey in the router. in frustration i have also tried to remove the encryption to see if that will allow me to connect. the laptop is configured to work with an office wireless network hence i am unable to re-install any software on the laptop.

i also enabled the incoming & outgoing logs - the incoming one is blank (despite my numerous attempts to access the router from the laptop) the outgoing has a number of entries. Any help appreciated and TIA dar dsa

Reply to
dar
Loading thread data ...

following a different posting that suggests use of WPA with AES. when i hit connect on the laptop i get a prompt asking for the WPA key. i enter the key and am back to the same situation where the laptop polls the router but gets no connection.

this is really frustrating .....................

Reply to
dar

just a start, have you disabled the existing Ethernet card? Or does it have one?

Reply to
Steve Harris

formatting link

Reply to
Steve Harris

Steve thanks for your suggestion. A colleague suggested i use a software called Odyssey that is loaded on the laptop which is necessary for my workplace wireless network. I need to add my home network to this software in order to make connection.

Unfortunately Odyssey is an innocous icon that blends into the grey background of the windows taskbar. i would never have noticed it myself.

cheers and thanks again for yr help dar

Steve Harris wrote:

Reply to
dar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.