Linksys WRT54G V1.1 Stops Responding

I am having a problem with my Linksys WRT54G v1.1 with latest Firmware v4.20.7, Aug. 18, 2005 [Please note that I am using wired ethernet connection], I noticed a lot of times when I leave my computer unattended for a long time and come back to use it again the Internet dies, if I try to ping the router it doesnt respond, as soon as i reboot the router it begins to work. I have also observed that numerous times the router reboots itself, I have seen all the active LEDs on the font panel blinking in sync and the network icon in Windows XP pro machine saying Local area disconnected and then couple of seconds later saying connected, I have noticed this happening quiet often sometimes.

Any idea?

Reply to
dll2002dll
Loading thread data ...

Are you running some P2P app like BitTorrent? I've seen that crash a lot of low-end routers, including the WRT54G

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

From Linksys, the latest version of that routers firmware description:

Linksys, A division of Cisco Systems, Inc.

Product: WRT54G

Classification: Firmware Release History

Firmware Date: 12/7/2005

Release Date: 12/9/2005

Last Firmware Version: 1.00.4 __________________________________________________________________________ Firmware 1.00.4

- Resolves issues with slow downstream speeds

- Resolves issues with certain web sites not loading or loading slowly

- Resolves issues with obtaining an IP address from Windows 2000 Server

- Resolves issues with certain Internet video streaming

- Resolves issues with playing PSP games online

Firmware 1.00.2

- Resolves issue with SES and interoperability with other adapters

- Resolves issue with DynDNS abusive updates

Firmware 1.00.1

- Resolves issue with enabling remote management

- Resolves issue with unstable device boot up

- Resolves issue with International country codes

Firmware 1.00.0

- Initial Release

** NOTE ** This firmware is only compatible with WRT54G v.5 or above. Please check the bottom of your router for the router's hardware version.Consider going to
formatting link
and go to that product page and the hardware update link, or just go to
formatting link
Reply to
Peter Pan

There is (free) 3rd party firmware for the device. You can flash the router with one of them or flash it with v4.20.7 again. It might fix you problems. It can't hurt.

You sure you're not having a problem with the modem? I have even heard of a NIC giving a router problems.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

If you install one of the alternative firmwares, such as DD-WRT:

formatting link
get an "AP watchdog timer" which allegedly detects if the router has gone comatose and reboots it automagically. "The AP Watchdog enables a timer that will check to see if any clients are connected in the interval seconds given. If no clients are attached, the watchdog assumes the AP needs to be reset. When clients are connected this reset will not occur. The watchdog is intended for situations where the AP becomes unavailable due to interference or internal chip problems." There's also a WDS connection watchdog which does the same thing for WDS links.

I use a WRT54G v1.1 with dd-wrt v23 12/30/05 release as part of out neighborhood LAN. The AP watchdog function is enabled, but I've never seen it reboot the router. It would show up on my log files if it rebooted (and on the uptime when I login and tinker). It only reboots on power failures and sometimes on sustained high traffic loads.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

What's your point? We know the V5 has issues, but the OP has V1.1

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I had the exact same problems... Same hardware to. I started by getting rid of my 2.4Ghz cordless phones. I've upgraded to v4.20.7 firmware. I've enabled the SSID under the basic wireless settings. I'm running WEP (see wireless security) Secure Easy Setup is enabled. The DHCP server is enabled.

By the way. On my MAC laptop I created a network that matched what the network I created on the router. It seems like if its not hard coded then I guess it doesn't allways see the SSID broadcast...

On my PC laptop I'm running McAfee Wireless Security. I got rid of the MS Broadband Network Utility.

Since I made those changes all seems stable and I haven't had to reset the Linksys on a regular basis.. and torrents don't seem to bother it.

Reply to
KraftDiner

The point is that the linksys website does NOT even show V1.1 They do show something else as a 1.1. If you go by the actual firmare number, I show 4 has problems, and that 5 and above are okay.. But again, either 4 or 5 is NOT 1.1 (that's what the OP had in the subject)

Reply to
Peter Pan

"Peter Pan" hath wroth:

I think he meant *HARDWARE* version 1.1, not software version. Linksys WRT54G came in hardware versions 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.2, 3.0, 3.1,

4.0, and 5.0. Each has its own line of corresponding firmware. Unfortunately, Linksys hasn't been particularly careful about not using the same number sequences for their hardware and their software versions.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That is correct the HARDWARE of the OP is V1.1 Mine is V2.0

Reply to
KraftDiner

Yes I am using Hardware v1.1 of Linksys WRT54G.

I tried loading .bin of DD-WRT through the web interface, but it says failed, I dont know why.

William, regarding using P2P, you are right I am using BitTorrent, but I am sure I was successfully using it earlier when I bought it new a year ago.

Reply to
dll2002dll

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com hath wroth:

Did you use the correct .bin image? This is the latest non-beta version 23.

formatting link
Did you follow instructions exactly?
formatting link
've "bricked" two WRT54G routers because I was in a hurry. When it says to leave it alone, do nothing, don't touch the computer, don't click the "continue" button, etc, for 2 minutes, it really means it.

Try decreasing the number of streams or connections (i.e. number of allowed IP sockets) and see if it helps. 30 is a good low starting number.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You may have exceeded some unknown number of {connections, requests, packets} that now causes it to fail.

Someday I'm gonna try one of the aftermarket firmwares for a GL or V.4 router, but last time I tried one I bricked the router, and the silence on the 'support' forums are (IME) deafening when you have a problem. I'll probably try the one Jeff reccomends next, but I suspect the problem is buried in the Linksys code which didn't change with all the aftermarket firmwares.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I'm not convinced it's a number of (allowed) connections, it feels more like 'number of connection attempts', which isn't something you can set. Tens of thousands of requests for 'the hot new file', even if they are denied from your LAN machine, might exhaust your (say) stack space in your router. OSLT...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I have successfully configured my router for Firmware: DD-WRT v23 (12/25/05), I have also configured BT client (Azureus) for this:

Max simultaneous outbound connection attempts: 1 Max num of connections per torrent: 20 Max num of connections globally: 40 Upload Speed: 12KB/s

Would this help? I'll know it by tommorow :)

Reply to
dll2002dll

Hey I have the same router V2.0 Has anybody noticed that there is a DHCP lease time that is set to 0?

0 according to the documentation is a 1 day lease. I'm wondering if when you have the torrent open if you leave it open for more than 24 hours. If so what happens to software running on a machine after the ip address is changed.. (If indeed it actually does.) I can't say that I've seen the IP address actually chang, but if the configuration option is there what is it doing?
Reply to
KraftDiner

Please let us know!

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

rico snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rico) hath wroth:

~ # sh -v BusyBox v1.01 (2005.11.18-11:12+0000) Built-in shell (ash) Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

Built-in commands: ------------------- : alias bg break cd chdir command continue eval exec exit export false fg getopts hash help jobs kill let local pwd read readonly return set shift times trap true type ulimit umask unalias unset wait

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

IIRC, the way the DHCP lease is supposed to work is that at half the lease time, the client machine asks to extend the lease with the same IP address, so the IP will (rarely) change.

I have noticed some trouble with routers crashing, losing their context, and assigning the same IP to multiple machines. This isn't _supposed_ to happen (someone is supposed to ask "Is this IP in use?"), but I've seen it...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Jeff, I browsed the documentation you posted above (Got an older 54G 1.1) that I want to put DD-WRT on to 'play' with. I saw there are some shell script examples, but missed what shell is running. Is it bash or sh or do you know?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.