Cisco 2600 Series Router T1 Speeds

I was curious what FTP speeds we should expect with a single T1 or the BGP-based T1's (roughly 4.5Mbps). I'm only seeing 44KB/sec uploads and

100KB/sec downloads night and day. I was curious what other people had found. Thanks
Reply to
SPAMMERSAREMORONS
Loading thread data ...

It all depends on what are you downloading and uploading. If you are connected directly to your router (for example, T1 between two offices), then you could get about 140-150Kbytes/sec (1.5MBit divided by 8 Bits, minus

10-20% administrative overhead (TCP/IP headers, etc.)

If you are talking about Internet download/upload, then it could be anything from 0.0001 Bytes/sec to 150Kbytes per second, since you are going through shared media. For example, you are downloading something out of the web. That company has one T1, and if you are alone, who downloads at this time, then you could get 150KBytes/sec. But if there are 10 people, who download at this particular time, then everybody gets 15KBytes/second, and so on.

Good luck,

Mike

formatting link

Reply to
CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com

There are many issues here.

Some sites limit the bandwidth per user. What is the round trip time between the sites? What are the TCP window sizes. What is the error rate on the link.

I am on a 100Mbps Internet link and I see 400K Bytes/sec download from for example Cisco. i.e. 4Mbps.

This does not surprise me at all.

Reply to
anybody43

Intead of one T1 we have three using BGP. Based on that, I've see 450KB/sec on web-based downloads that jive with the formula: 4632 / 8 = 579.00 -

115.80 (20%) = 463.20. 4632 * 8 = 3 T1's at 1.544Mbps.

The twist here is that FTP speeds can do no better than 44Kbps (Uploads) and

104Kbps (Downloads) night or day. They can even plummet to 4Kbps during busy periods (which I can understand). It just seems that either FTP speeds are capped with our BGP setup.
Reply to
SPAMMERSAREMORONS

BGP has nothing whatever to do with your setup. What matters is whether you are mux'ing the circuits or not (hardware IMUX or MLPPP). Based on the fact that you are getting ~4Mbps thoughput, it looks like you are mux'ing them together (or per packet load balancing)

As to your ftp issue, it's entirely possible that someone is rate-limiting your ftp jobs or your ftp client is horribly inefficient. Remember that tcp typically needs a window size == 2* BW*DELAY to fill the pipes.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.