Wireless Internet and File and Printer Sharing

Hi, I am having problems with my wireless network file and print sharing and connecting to my wideband ISP

MY EQUIPMENT:

Router Netgear MR815 v2 Wireless pcmcia adaptor Netgear MA521 NIC 3Com 3C905B-TX NIC PC WinXP Laptop Win98 SE

MY NEW CONFIGURATION:

PC hardwired to router Laptop wireless to router Router hardwired to wideband equipment PC and Laptop connecting to the internet throught the router

MY PROBLEM:

Before I had the Netgear wideband setup I had a Motorola BB160 wireless setup, I had file and printer sharing enabled, the PC and Laptop connecting

seperately to the internet through Dialup Networking (old configuration). Everything worked fine with no problems, except dialup networking performance

was poor and to be expected.

After seting up my new wirless configuration I can connect to the internet just fine, however I can't enable file and print sharing. I have tried several

suggestions I have found in this newsnet and others with no success. I have seen some comments that this may not be possible unless I use Internet

sharing though the PC with WinXp. I don't want to use internet connection sharing as this means my PC will have to be turned on in order for my laptop to

connect to the internet.

SOLUTION REQUIRED:

I want to have both my PC and Laptop connect to the internet throught my router and have file and print sharing enabled between my PC and Laptop. I am

starting to think I may have to have another router between my wirless router and my widband equipment.

Any help would be appreciated RSW

Reply to
RSW
Loading thread data ...

No. There is doubtless some configuration problem.

Do either computers have a firewall? Try turning it off.

Does the router have a firewall? Is it set to block sharing?

Do you have file and print sharing bound to the connections?

If systems are XP, do you have a logon (user) on both systems with the same username/password. That is, if I am logged in to my laptop as user:John password:letmein, is there a user on the desktop named John with a password of letmein?

Have you shared resources?

Reply to
Jerry Park

TRIED THAT DIDN'T WORK

NO FIREWALL

YES

SAME DOMAIN NAME DIFFERENT USERNAMES AND PASSWORDS

NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN

Sorry for the CAPS I am not yelling just showing my reply.

RSW

Reply to
RSW

Shared resources means have you designated a folder(s) to share across the network? Check the workgroup on each computer. Did you install Wimp SP2? The security features in the service pack could be effecting your file sharing also.

k
Reply to
news

Yes I have shared resources set up for the C drive on each computer. Neither Computer can "see" each other.

No I have not Installed SP2

I don't have the XP firewall activated either.

R
Reply to
RSW

I have solved the problem!!!!!

Many thanx to all who have responded to my question.

THE SOLUTION I USED

I Installed NETBEUI on both my Win98 laptop and my WinXP desktop, bound File and print sharing under NETBEUI Unbound File and Print Sharing from TPC/IP, and it worked. I found the instructions @

formatting link
as mentioned in a reply to my question. I had security concerns about using NETEUI but my fears were eased by reading
formatting link
ezlan site
formatting link
is an excellent resource.

RSW

Reply to
RSW

NetBEUI? Stoneage protocol. Why are using that one?

Reply to
news

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.