Killed my 2600 Router - Help!?

Im a newbie trying to get some home lab experience on a 2651 that was given me. I have screwed it up pretty royally and I'm looking for a bit of help, hoping you can provide some.

I wish I could show you, by pasting a copy of the telnet session but the router will no longer even boot to rommon>. I of course tried to upgrade the IOS without backing up the old one. (I know)

I get a couple of strange characters that I've never seen before and a blinking cursor, I can no longer type or hit return. The characters are pasted below but they dont show up the same as they do on the hyperterm screen.

=F0p=F8=F0p=F8=E8d=F8

Ever hear of such a thing? I have tried the xmodem feature but with no luck.

Reply to
Rob
Loading thread data ...

Have you checked the factory settings on the console connection and ensured your serial is setup right? This often happens when there is a mismatch of some kind, of course it could also mean a lot of other things, but that is the first thing I would check.

Reply to
Trendkill

The only thing that this can be, other than broken hardware, is that you terminal (PC) is set to a different bit rate than the router. Default is 9600, 1 stop bit, no parity. (no handshaking too).

best thing is to try the default and if no change try some other settings. Would not take too long to try all possibilities.

Reply to
bod43

Hello All:

I am planning to Buy CCNP lab on sale from ebay to practice the exam. Any suggstion on prices and good LAB equipments?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regards,

I wish I could show you, by pasting a copy of the telnet session but the router will no longer even boot to rommon>. I of course tried to upgrade the IOS without backing up the old one. (I know)

I get a couple of strange characters that I've never seen before and a blinking cursor, I can no longer type or hit return. The characters are pasted below but they dont show up the same as they do on the hyperterm screen.

ðpøðpøèdø

Ever hear of such a thing? I have tried the xmodem feature but with no luck.

Reply to
pat

Make sure you look at Dynamips too.

If you are working in the business and have CCNA then maybe you dont need too much hardware?

Reply to
bod43

It's not broken hardware per se. I have been in the interface many times prior to my mistake in the config. It was a direct result of what I did. I was in ROMMON>, which tells you the bit rate and such on the cable is good, and proceeded to do a confreg something to the affect of (0x0125, I dont remember off the top of my head, this is just an example). This was done as a method to allow the device to boot directly to the rommon without trying to read the "boot to xx.x.bin" command that was loaded into the startup config but was erroring out.

Reply to
Rob

OK, then you changed the terminal speed. Try different speeds in your terminal emulation software until you find one that matches. The table at [1] below shows the range of speeds supported. You may also have to play with the parity settings, though the example you quoted looks more like a speed mismatch than a parity mismatch.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Whoops! [1] Should have been this:

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.