Cisco 1841 Unable to boot with CF inserted

I have 2 different 1841 routers that are unable to boot when the CF card is inserted. Both routers hang after this output:

System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)T9, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Technical Support:

formatting link
(c) 2004 by cisco Systems, Inc. PLD version 0x10 GIO ASIC version 0x127

It never gets beyond that line. If I remove the CF, the router does get to the ROMMON prompt. I have multiple CF cards that I've tested in other 1841 routers, so I know the CF, nor the IOS is to blame.

Has anybody ever seen this or know what the problem is?

Reply to
ihopeipass
Loading thread data ...

Have you checked the config register and the bootvar (if it has one?)?

Definately try booting ignoring the config since the config may be instructing an invalid boot file. configuration-register 0x2142 for the latter.

0x2102 is the usual.

You can get into the rommon with a break and then check the config register. It may be possible to look at the flash from rommon I forget.

I am speculating but just possibly your rommon does not recognise the flash format? Check versions and and release notes. This is *very* unlikely.

Worth a try just with "boot" from the rommon prompt. It is easier to sort out from IOS than from rommon. Or "boot ios-file-name".

Just in case it assists, you can most likely boot the 1841 from the network. This would get you up with IOS and would allow troubleshooting from there.

Reply to
bod43

Check the ROMMON version on the outher routers that recognize the card, you may need to upgrade it.

Reply to
Ted Z

ROMMON version is the same on all of the routers. I have tried multiple different config registers to no avail. the problem is, when the flash card is installed, the router just hangs, it doesn't respond to any break sqeuence. I am able to get the router up and running without the CF using tftpdnld -r, but when I insert the CF it locks up and again doesn't respond to any keys and/or break sequence. Once I eject the CF, the router responds normally. Looks to me like the CF slot is bad on this router. You guys agree?

Reply to
ihopeipass

ROMMON version is the same on all of the routers. I have tried multiple different config registers to no avail. the problem is, when the flash card is installed, the router just hangs, it doesn't respond to any break sqeuence. I am able to get the router up and running without the CF using tftpdnld -r, but when I insert the CF it locks up and again doesn't respond to any keys and/or break sequence. Once I eject the CF, the router responds normally. Looks to me like the CF slot is bad on this router. You guys agree?

Reply to
Thrill5

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.