No tftpdnld command

I appear to be totally stuck with a 3725. My compact flash is missing

- there is no image in flash and ROMMON doesn't have a TFTPDNLD command. I tried to boot from tftp - that failed as well...

rommon 9 > DEFAULT_GATEWAY=10.1.1.1 rommon 10 > TFTP_SERVER=10.1.1.1 rommon 11 > TFTP_FILE=c3725-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.XW7.bin rommon 12 > tftpdnld -r monitor: command "tftpdnld" not found

rommon 13 > boot c3725-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.XW7.bin 10.1.1.1 program load complete, entry point: 0x80008000, size: 0xb2a0 an alternate boot helper program is not specified (monitor variable "BOOTLDR" is not set) and unable to determine first file in bootflash loadprog: error - on file open boot: cannot load "c3725-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.XW7.bin 10.1.1.1" rommon 14 >

rommon 14 >

rommon 14 >

rommon 14 >

rommon 14 > ? alias set and display aliases command boot boot up an external process break set/show/clear the breakpoint confreg configuration register utility cont continue executing a downloaded image context display the context of a loaded image cookie display contents of motherboard cookie PROM in hex dev list the device table dir list files in file system dis disassemble instruction stream dnld serial download a program module frame print out a selected stack frame help monitor builtin command help history monitor command history iomemdef set IO mem to a default 25% meminfo main memory information repeat repeat a monitor command reset system reset rommon-pref Select ROMMON set display the monitor variables showmon display currently selected ROM monitor stack produce a stack trace sync write monitor environment to NVRAM sysret print out info from last system return unalias unset an alias unset unset a monitor variable xmodem x/ymodem image download rommon 15 >

I have a new compact flash card that I need to format and then get an IOS image on to it but where to next ?

Reply to
terrydoc
Loading thread data ...

After that you go to the cisco site and look up this document :

formatting link
tells you how to use the flash card. Do read the compatibilty note.

luck, Frans

Reply to
brink

Right, the 3725 doesn't have tftpdnld.. It has xmodem though! If all else fails, jack the console baud rate up to 115,200, and xmodem in the smallest IOS image you can find. It might complete in 4-5 hours for you... Depending on size of course. This is not going to complete quickly.

There's been way too many 36xx routers I've had to recover for people using xmodem boot. I honestly don't know why they didn't fix that for the 37xx routers. :(

The TFTP boot line here is probably your best bet to troubleshoot..

Maybe throw a '-v' on the end of the line to see verbose error messages to see what is going on?

Hmm, reading up on the process here..

formatting link
It seems a TFTP boot always needs to have something in CompactFlash to start booting from and then loads the real IOS you want via TFTP.

I'd have to say that xmodem'ing in the smallest IOS in is your best bet.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Thanks - will try the xmodem solution...

Reply to
terrydoc

Unfortunately I'm now having trouble with XModem

Firstly tried to load c3725-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.XW7.bin (43948KB) but kept getting "BB0 ERR:File not a valid executable" erors. Then tried a smaller IOS image c3725-ipbasek9-mz.124-15.T13.bin (20527KB) but it is also throwing up the same message but also the error says it is still expecting the original advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.XW7.bin image...

rommon 16 >

rommon 16 > xmodem -r c3725-ipbasek9-mz.124-15.T13.bin Do not start the sending program yet...

Invoke this application only for disaster recovery. Do you wish to continue? y/n [n]: y Ready to receive file c3725-advipservicesk9-mz.124-11.XW7.bin ... BB0 ERR:File not a valid executable rommon 17 > confreg

Reply to
terrydoc

Are the files valid? A common problem is using ftp ascii mode to transfer the files. Use binary mode always. Just to be clear I am not taling about the xmodem transfer but a possible earlier ftp, perhaps from the cisco web site.

cidco publish md5 'checksums' of files. You can check your files if you have an md5 utility. There is one for windows on fourmilab.ch in case you are having trouble.

Reply to
bod43

I found my problem - it was in fact a 3745 - i now have the router up & running with c3745-ipbasek9-mz.124-11.XW7.bin. However, when I try to tftp: the IOS to flash: or slot0: (compact flash) the tftp always times out at the same point... I need to get this version into flash: or onto the compact flash so I can boot as normal.

Router#copy tftp: flash: Address or name of remote host [10.1.1.2]? Source filename [c3745-ipbasek9-mz.124-25c.bin]? Destination filename [c3745-ipbasek9-mz.124-25c.bin]? Accessing tftp://10.1.1.2/c3745-ipbasek9-mz.124-25c.bin...Router#dir all Directory of archive:/

No files in directory

Error getting file system status (Unknown error 0) Directory of system:/

2 -r-- 0 default-running- config 4 dr-x 0 memory 1 -rw- 596 running-config 3 dr-x 0 vfiles

Error getting file system status (Bad file number) Directory of tmpsys:/

No files in directory

Error getting file system status (Bad file number) Directory of nvram:/

150 -rw- 596 startup-config 151 ---- 5 private-config 1 -rw- 0 ifIndex-table 2 ---- 13 persistent-data 155640 bytes total (152939 bytes free) Directory of flash:/ 1 -rw- 611 Mar 1 2002 01:50:34 +00:00 running-config 32296960 bytes total (32292864 bytes free) Directory of slot0:/ No files in directory 64057344 bytes total (64057344 bytes free) Router# Loading c3745-ipbasek9-mz.124-25c.bin from 10.1.1.2 (via FastEthernet0/0): !!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.O.O.O [timed out]

%Error reading tftp://10.1.1.2/c3745-ipbasek9-mz.124-25c.bin (Timed out) Router#

Reply to
terrydoc

=A0 =A0 =A0default-running-

=A0 =A0 =A0memory

=A0 =A0running-config

=A0 =A0 =A0vfiles

=A0 =A0startup-config

=A0 =A0private-config

=A0 =A0 =A0ifIndex-table

=A0 =A0 =A0persistent-data

"O" is out of order packet. Make sure that you don't have a duplex mismatch between the client and the server. tftp is not good at recovering from errors. Start with everything at auto-speed/auto-dup.

Some old tftp clients has bugs. I forget the details now. Use tftpd32.exe if you are on Windows but make sure that it's dhcp server does not cause problems on your network. tftpd32.exe is a perfect tftp server - except that if now comes with unwanted baggage:-)

Run a packet capture on your PC.

Reply to
bod43

I had this once with a tftp server : the image got stuck at the same point during transfers (I always check CRC before uploading) I changed the tftp server to tftp32 (from Jounin) and it ran fine (the upload) As the problem was fixed I did not take time to look for the exact reason why (interactions with Antivirus, mem corruption on my laptop, anything more strange ..)

Reply to
Daniel-G

=A0 =A0 =A0default-running-

=A0 =A0 =A0memory

=A0 =A0 =A0running-config

=A0 =A0 =A0vfiles

=A0 =A0startup-config

=A0 =A0 =A0private-config

=A0 =A0 =A0ifIndex-table

=A0 =A0 =A0persistent-data

=A0running-config

As Dan has mentioned on the other thread you started, use ftp instead if problems persist. If you use Windows Serv-U is easy to get going. If the server insists on a username/password they look like this on the cisco command line.

copy ftp://user:pass@1.2.3.4/filename flash

It's a standard URL format.

Reply to
bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.