2600 series router using SDM

Cisco 2615XM router with SDM 2.4.1 I'm trying to get PC's on a LAN to access a default gateway adsl router so they can surf the internet but I'm stuck at the Cisco 2615XM router Here is my setup: small LAN of PC's all connected by cables to a hub, all ip's set on 192.168.1.xx Cisco 2615XM router also connected to the hub on Fastethernet port 0/1, set as as

192.168.1.70, set as LAN Cisco 2651XM Fastethernet port 0/0, DHCP set port to 192.168.1.64 set as WAN, connected by cable to Cisco wireless access point (configured as a universal workgroup bridge). The Cisco access point ip is 192.168.1.66 and it is connected wirelessly to a non-cisco adsl router on the internet (default gateway 192.168.1.254).

I'm trying to get the PC's on the LAN to access the default gateway router so they can surf the internet but I'm stuck at the 2615XM router. The PC can see both FastEthernet ports but I can't get the PC to see the Cisco access point on 192.168.1.66. In SDM/Interfaces and Connections I did Test Connection but the test fails at Checking Exit Interface, the recommended actions say: 'Select User-Specified option or add host specific/network specific/default route through this interface and retest connection'. I'm not sure where I'm supposed to go in SDM to do this, I've tried different things but fail to create the route so if anyone can help me put the right settings into SDM that'd be great. Thanks for any help.

Reply to
tg
Loading thread data ...

connected by

connection'. I'm

things but fail

Reply to
jcle

"tg" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Hi,

You can actually create a bridge between the two ethernet ports of the

2651XM, but as already expressed by "jcle" in a previous reply there is no point in using the 2651XM at all... just connect the PCs to the "hub" (preferably a switch).

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

thanks for your response jcl. I cannot plug the wap into the hub, to explain why I'll need to go backwards. The cisco wap will only connect to a non-cisco wireless router using the 'universal' wireless bridge setting (u-wb). U-wb only supports a single device, it will not support multiple devices on the hub. The normal wireless bridge setting will support multiple devices but n-wb will only connect to another cisco wireless device, and my adls wireless router is a no-cisco device. Which means I must use u-wb, and the single device on u-wb has top be the 2651XM. All the PC's on the hub can 'hide' behind the 2651xm and route through it. So I need to configure the 2651 to route all the pc's onto the internet. I hope I've explained it ok. Thanks for the tip you gave, as a newbie I didn't know the ports had to be on different subnets but I do now. I'll try the instructions you gave but if you could provide a bit more detail about what you mean that would be really good. Thanks again.

Reply to
tg

2651XM at

thanks for your response Gabriel, in my reply above to jcle I've explained why I have to use the 2651xm. Do you know specifically how I create a bridge between the two ethernet ports?

Reply to
tg

"tg" ha scritto nel messaggio news:g603al$f0n$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Hi,

I thought of Integrated Routing and Bridging (look at here:

formatting link
if you do not need or want L2 transparency you can simply create two subnets and route between them i.e. client (gw: 192.168.0.254)----> (fa0/0, 192.168.1.254/24) router (fa0/1,

172.30.0.1/24 (default route to 172.30.0.254) ------> (e0, 172.30.0.254) wap

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

formatting link
But if you do not need or want L2 transparency you can simply create two subnets and

thanks for your further help Gabriel but I'm finding it hard to understand what you mean exactly from the above figures and where I should enter them into sdm

Reply to
tg

"tg" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

formatting link
> But if you do not need or want L2 transparency you can simply create two

Hi,

I've never worked with SDM (actually I just had a brief look at it) so I can't tell you if using the grphical interface you have access to every function and flexibility provided by the CLI.

What I ment with the "ugly diagram" is very simple.... you now have a network where every host is in the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet, and I suggested you to create two subnet out of it (or just use another prefix) in order to have for example 192.168.1.0/24 for the PCs and one interface of the 2651XM and another sunbet for the link between the 2651XM and the wap (i.e.

192.168.2.0/30); this way you configure all the PCs to have as a default gateway the 2651XM which in turn will route by default to the wap.

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Hi and thanks for your further help. following your guidelines I had partial success followed by catastrophe. Last night I managed to get the PC (on 172.16.0.x) going through the 2651 and seeing the wap and the default gateway on 192.168.1.xxx. I couldn't surf the internet but It was a relief to have partial success at 1am in the morning. I saved the config from SDM both on the PC and to the routers startup-config but this morning I've got nothing and the CLI from the 2651XM says 'loadprog: bad file magic number: 0x0, boot: cannot load "flash:" Oh dear, it seems something got corrupted so I will have to start right from the beginning, or work out if it's possible to somehow load back the config I saved. I think I have all the 2651XM software on CD so wish me luck and thanks again for your help.

Reply to
tg

"tg" ha scritto nel messaggio news:g64a88$14v$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Hi,

I'm afraid to hear this; probably the flash memory has been erased or the boot image has become corrupted. (the config file should be intact in the NVRAM)

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

there was no config file intact anywhere after I'd done erase nvram: and erase flash: (ha ha). I tftp'd a new IOS image up to the router 6 times before I learnt that the image had to be saved to flash, so for hours I was uploading and then rebooting only to find I was stuck in rommon mode while searching google and reading loads of cisco documents. I'm pleased to say I've now succeeded in doing what I was originally trying to do, which was get a small lan of pc's on the internet using a wireless bridge to an adsl router. What a relief and thankyou for your help along the way Gabriel.

Reply to
tg

"tg" ha scritto nel messaggio news:g68b5k$6ck$ snipped-for-privacy@news.albasani.net...

Hi,

I'm glad to hear that eventually everything is OK.

Regards, Gabriele

Reply to
Gabriele Beltrame

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.