Napco GEM3200 Reporting problem

New to the group, DIY'er, I have a GEM3200 that's reporting to my Asterisk PBX just fine, but when it finishes it still throws a Comm Fail E03-00 Trouble. I get full events reported, no problems, but it still throws the trouble...

Any ideas of what to look for in programming? The same thing happens if I switch to pager format.

Reply to
djteche
Loading thread data ...

What format are you currently using? My guess is it's expecting an ack from a central station receiver that doesn't exist

Reply to
mleuck

Ah, stupid of me, Napco calls it Point ID but I know it's Ademco Contact ID, and the script I'm using gives a handshake and ACK signal, like I just armed and disarmed and both signals came in at once, so the panel is catching the ACK signal.

When in pager format, would it expect an ACK signal as well?

Reply to
djteche

No not with the pager format, does it resend the signal over and over again before going into trouble?

Reply to
mleuck

No sir, sends the correct signals, each once, hangs up, throws a trouble, then momentarily picks up the line and re-hangs up. Doesn't attempt to re-send.

Reply to
djteche

Just set it for Pager and you'll be fine. The panel will dial the number and send DTMF tones as though it was talking to a real pager. After a few seconds the panel will hang up. There won't be a trouble condition any more.

If you need help with Napco software, give me a call. I don't charge for help programming - it's too much fun... :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

As I said, when set to pager format it does the exact same thing. I figure it has to be a setting somewhere because it throws the trouble for both.

Reply to
djteche

There are three reporting setup areas. Check all three.

1. Primary
  2. Backup
  3. Alternative.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Give my office a call during the day and we'll work on it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Won't do any good, you won't be able to download it and you know nothing about keypad programming

Reply to
mleuck

LOL. I almost always laptop or remote program Gemini panels, but other than using address numbers (which can be confusing to the uninitiated and even some of the initiated) instead of a good text description keypad programming a 3200 isn't that hard. Well, with an RP1CAe or RP1CAe2 anyway.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have a full alpha keypad (can't remember the model lol), I just need to get time to recheck the reporting fields, I should find some time tomorrow. I have a PCI-Mini but no USB-Serial that's compatible, one is being shipped. Once I get that I was going to local download it anyways.

Here's a question for the interim. In the manual made for my version there's a keypad blanking option, it's supposed to be an 8 bit entry, but the keypad says it's a 2 digit Hex entry (Undefined Loc) and nothing I put in sticks. Just wondered why some feature would be in the manual and not on the chip.

Reply to
djteche

Mark has no idea what I know how to do. Because I didn't post a specific answer to one gentleman's question but really because he's filled with hatred, Mark just assumes the worst. That's sad for him. I offered to make peace with Mark, but he chooses instead to attack and insult at every turn.

Someone else rightly described that sort of behavior as "him drinking poison and hoping I will die." In this case, he's partially right. I'm dying and I know it. But Mark doesn't realize that he too, is dying. The difference is I know it and I have the opportunity to do some good and perhaps right some wrongs in the meantime. I know I've been rude to Mark at times and for that I apologize. It's up to Mark how he deals with that. I hope he changes his mind. Bitterness eats at the insides worse than any cancer. Fortunately, it's curable.

As to programming, I've installed literally hundreds of Napco panels and I've programmed *quite literally* more than a thousand of them. Napco used to circulate a newsletter to dealers around the country. Twice they wrote articles on systems I installed and programmed. I guess they think I know a little bit about their systems.

That's not to boast -- only to counter a ridiculous slur. The fact is, Jim knows more about Napco than I do these days because he's still doing it whereas I'm retired -- well, sort of. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Really? May we see them please?

Reply to
alarman

He must have scanned them

Reply to
mleuck

You know, it wouldn't be all that surprising to me. I had Al e-mail me once to ask about doing a write up for SDM on an outdoor application I did. Since it wasn't pretty I declined, but its not at all unlikely that anybody who has been in the industry and bragged about some of their exploits might not have done a published write up or two. Some of my own writing (different topic) has been published in local and regional motorcycle and outdoor magazines. The only reason some people are not published atleast in a small way is because they have not tried.

Bob La Londe

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It's not hard to do. I've been published a number of times. With Napco, I know that there are a number of modifications that have been made to Napco documentation, firmware and additions to the Napco tech's list of problems/solutions that have been as a result of some of the questions and or problems I've come across through the years. Also,there are some inherent anomalies in the Napco panels that I've come across that they are never going to correct because the possibility of it becoming an issue is very remote. Nevertheless, they are there and the tech's scratch their collective heads trying to figure out how I found them when no one else has. Just my frickin luck and my compulsion of having to know everything about what I'm doing before I commit to doing it for someone else. I could be wrong but I seem to sense that there are not many of "me" around any more.

Reply to
Jim

I once heard from somewhere that anyone can learn "how" something works. It's those who bother to learn "why" that become really good at it.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Al asked me to write something once and I told him I would but then I got busy doing other stuff and forgot about it. Later that flame war started and no way was I going to write something. That's all long past though I regret the harsh words that passed between us. None of it was necessary, just as none of Mark's continuing rudeness here does anything but make the newsgroup a little meaner and a little less useful.

I didn't write the article. Napco did. Mark knows it because when I first mentioned it years ago someone on the newsgroup found a copy and posted about it. And no, I didn't scan it. I thought it was nice that they wrote about my work. Mark just cant stand the idea that someone he hates got recognition for actually doing something interesting. That's his problem -- not mine. There were actually two different articles. I don't recall if the second got published but the first one was titled something like, "Saturday the Rabbi Slept Late". It was about the systems I designed for Orthodox synagogues. These were really fun projects I did and they also helped grow my business among the Jewish community in the Hartford / Farmington Valley region. After all these years I still get an occasional call from someone looking to design a "Kosher" system.

If you care enough to bother rather than speculate, try to find someone at Napco how's been around a long time. I've got other stuff to do. No offense intended, Bob, but I don't need to prove every word I say just because Mark wants to clutter the newsgroup with insults.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Same here.

I've never been content just to slap the stuff in. Besides, once you start to really understand the system you can figure out ways to make it do more than the competition can. I always loved it during a sales call when a customer would tell me that the salesman from (pick and 3-letter company name) said it's not possible to do something I knew how to do. It made my job so easy and so much more fun.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.