vista 20p and a 714 blaster driver module

Getting close to finishing my system replacement and have a question of compatibility. I can't seem to find a reference to it on the Honeywell site. My old system had a horn and a 714 blaster driver and I am wondering if I can use it for the sounder in the vista 20p system. Seems like the voltages match but did find a reference on line to the need for a resister in the circuit so the driver does not draw too much power. Any one out there have any experience with this setup or some advice for us newbie's.

Thanks Larry

Reply to
LJP602
Loading thread data ...

The blaster driver draws way to much power your either going to have to use an additional power supply and relay or go to a low draw driver, you can reuse the horn part thou.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Thanks for the insight, Nick, I have a few dc transformers around, is it ok to use them to power the 714 and if so how much power would it draw?

Thanks Larry

The blaster driver draws way to much power your either going to have to use an additional power supply and relay or go to a low draw driver, you can reuse the horn part thou.

Reply to
LJP602

Technically, "dc transformers" are not transformers but DC power supplies.

If you do use a plug in power supply, what's going to power your siren during a power outage? You'd be much better off getting a newer, more power effecient driver.

There is a way to use the 714, but it's unorthodox. By tapping directly into your present standby battery positive lead with an in- line fuse in series with the power lead to the driver. You'd be well advised to use a 7Ah battery and use an appropriate size fuse to match the requirements of the 714. (I've forgotten what they draw) However, you'd be cutting down considerably on your standby time if the siren were to trip during a power failure.

Siren drivers are really inexpensive, so if it were me, I'd get the newer driver. But knowing the nature of DIY'ers ....................

Reply to
Jim

The 714 was one of the loudest siren driver I ever used. It has the ability to use a power supply with a separate trip voltage from the panel. Use somthing like this with a 12VDC 8AH battery

formatting link
and you'll have no eardrums left if you drive a
formatting link
SIREN DRIVER MODULE

WITH No.713 BLASTER SPEAKER

GENERAL INFORMATION:

The No. 714 Blaster Driver Module is designed to control power to the No.

Blaster Speaker (both together comprise the No. 715 Blaster Electronic Siren).

The No. 7 14 may be "turned on" from a control instrument having 6 to IZV. DC _

'alarm output terminals (DO NOT use controls with unfiltered rectified outputs,

such as the Nos. 221, 330, 331 and 332 Combination Burglar/Fire Controls). Actua I

power for the No. 713 speaker(s) is provided to the No. 714 directly from the control

instrument's power source or a separate power supply, if desired (6-l8V. DC)

Speaker sound volume is dependent on the voltage used for the speaker circuit.

The sound may be warbling or two-tone depending on which of the activating signal

inputs of the No. 714 is tripped.

the pitch of the sound.

The warble/two-tone rate is adjustable as is

One or two No: 713 Speakers may be connected to the No. 714 Blaster Driver Module

for ful I sound output. More speakers (up to 8 total in series/parallel), however,

may be connected to one No. 714, with decreased sound from each speaker.

OPERATION:

When an a.larm occurs, the.signal (6 to 12 V. DC) from the alarm output terminals

of the control instrument will turn on the circuitry in the No. 714 Driver Module

so that power for the speaker(s) will enter the No. 714 and be sent out to the

No. 713 Speaker(s) as "warbling" or "two-tone" power. No "speaker power" current

will flow, however, until an alarm condition occurs.

,\r s /

When the alarm signal is removed from the No. 714 (upon control panel "bell.cutoff"

or "restore") the "speaker power" will stop flowing and the speaker(s) will

si lence.

The "speaker power" voltage supplied to terminals 3 and 4 (see Diagram 31 of the

No. 714 may be 6 to I8 V. DC (maximum) obtained from any of the following sources:

I. The control instrument's 6 or l2V. DC power supply.

a. If a control panel's 6V. rechargeable power source is being used to

power the speakers, and it is desired to obtain even greater sound

output, supplementary 6V. rechargeable power (e.g.: No. 493) may be

placed in series with the "speaker power" input wiring to the No. 714

to "boost" the resu I ti ng sound leve I of the speakers.

b. If the panel's power source is a 6V. dry battery, it may be supplemented

as described above by up to l2V. of dry battery.

1. A separate rechargeable power supply, such as the No. 493 (6V.I Battery

Pack or No. 364-25 or -50 (12V.I Power Supply.

1. A separate A.?. rectified 6 or l2V. supply. The No. 89-12 Energy Pack

(12V.I his recorrPnended for close to maximum speaker sound output. For

standby, the control's power supply may be connected to the No. 89-12's

STANDBY terminals ('if the control has a 6V. power supply, less sound output

will be available while on standby),

Reply to
Just Looking

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.