firewall reporting?

is there a free firewall program that reports hackers trying to hack into my system. (to some central hacker reporting site.)

Reply to
peter
Loading thread data ...

Please define 'hackers trying to hack into my system'!

About 99,999% of what you believe to be hackers is normal network noise or the result of virus/worm activity. To overcome these problems there is no need for central reporting but for educated users that do not execute every malware withing seconds that they recieve by email thus compromising their systems themselves. Your question shows that you are not among them.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

Most "intrusion attempts" in your firewall logs are background noise, but there is always the possibility of some being malicious. Share your logs with these two organizations and let them sort it out:

DShield MyNetWatchman

Reply to
dak

I believe the idea with the central reporting is going to evolve and become much better as time goes by. Currently I don´t think this idea is widespread among products.

DShield

formatting link
collects firewall data from anyone willing to contribute and offers a free client that is compatible with many free and paid firewalls. You can see global information in their webpages.

NIS 2005 uses global activity gathered from

formatting link
On that site you can contribute log information even if you don´t run Symantec products (list is more limited than DShield) and in return get some nifty reports on the activity of your PC (but just your own). The global aggregate they reserve for paying customers of their NIS 2005.

Microsoft is going down this path and it´s free Spyware beta does the same thing except for viruses. If you choose to cooperate, it will send information to Spynet and you will benefit from the aggregate information. But this only collects information from MS Spyware product.

Reply to
speeder

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.