Using a cable modem and dsl modem/router

Hello, Here is what I would like to be able to do without changing any of my current settings if this is Possible. I currently have a dsl from earthlink will call is (modem/router 1 which is a zyxel p660 r elnk) and now I am trying out comcast will call this (modem 2 which is a motorola sb5120) and a belkin cable /dsl router f5d6231-4 and a wirless card belkin f57010. As of now I have 3 computers all win98 wired to the router and the modem/router 1 and my wireless which is a xp home computer. All computers can see each other and things are working perfectly and I can connect through the net via the router. I want to have the choose of using the cable modem or the dsl modem when ever I want to by just unplugging The back of the wan connection and plugging the other one in but the problem is when I plug the cable modem to The router and change the settings in the router to dynamic it does not want to connect to the internet. Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
jon
Loading thread data ...

This can be tricky if your DSL modem is not handling the PPPoE login. If it does do the login, it can generally be as simple as moving the cable. At worst, you may need to power-cycle the router, or go into it's setup and do a DHCP release/renew.

It sounds like your DSL modem doubles as a router. You may want to checks it's configuration to see if the router part can be disabled, so it acts like a modem and there is only the one IP address available on the ports.

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.