EArthlink and installing Linksys router

I have EArthlink DSL and I am trying to install a router to connect my

2 home computers. Obviously Earthlink says they don't support this, but I know it can be done. By the way the router is Linksys G. It seems i can hook up the hardware and make the proper router connections. The problem seems to be Earthlink. I cannot access the http://172.16.0.254/config page to configure the Earthlink settings. For some reason it just doesn't come up. I chatted with Earthlink without success.
Reply to
Senin001
Loading thread data ...

What is the 172.16.0.254 address??? Is this the Linksys or Earthlink??

Reply to
gene martinez

That is the Earthlink configuration page.

Reply to
Senin001

What happens when you log into the Linksys router. It should show you the WAN in address (Earthlink). What do you have to configure on the Earthlink side???

Reply to
gene martinez

Don't know if the OP saw, this, but I did find this on the ELN website

formatting link
aDSL Modem - Troubleshooting Basic Browsing Issues

Of special interest: # Check the UHP to see if it is receiving a WAN IP (Internet IP). The UHP status page at http://172.16.0.254/ contains this information.

# Check the browser to see if proxies are turned on. Browser proxies should not be on.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

website

formatting link
UHP aDSL Modem - Troubleshooting Basic Browsing Issues

Changing a UHP Modem from PPPoE Mode to Bridged Mode.

Reply to
Senin001

website

formatting link
UHP aDSL Modem - Troubleshooting Basic Browsing Issues

For some reason I cannot access this page.

Reply to
Senin001

I couldn't either, out of curiosity. From the KB article, though, it looks like this is the status page for the specific DSL modem. Are you (or the OP if not you) sure of the maker of the modem?

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.