Router Works With DSL, not Cable

I am converting from DSL to Cable Modem service. I have a wired ethernet network with three computers running Windows XP and a Siemens SpeedStream 2614 DSL/Cable router. The cable modem is a Motorola Bitsurfer.

This setup works with the DSL modem. When I switch to the cable modem it stops working. The only relevant options I can find in the router are 1) the connection type, which I changed from PPPoE to Dynamic IP address when I switched to the cable modem, and 2) the MAC address which I changed to the cable modem's MAC address. (When that didn't work, I used the "clone MAC address" feature, without improvement.) I have also performed a full reset of the router.

The cable modem works fine when connected directly to the computer. The network works fine when the DSL modem is reconnected. But I can't get the cable modem to work through the router.

Any suggestions about what I can try now?

Thanks,

Jim Williams Norfolk, VA

Reply to
JAWs
Loading thread data ...

Try resetting the router to factory values.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Al and Henry:

I had already performed a full reset which, according to the manual, was supposed to reset the router settings to factory defaults. However after reading Al's message I noticed that my password hadn't changed, so I reset it again using the software Tools option. The original password (admin) came back, and the router started working.

Looks like I found a "fuller" full reset.

Thanks to both of you.

Jim

Reply to
JAWs

Bzzzt. Another reading-challenged eager-beaver.

cheers,

Henry

Reply to
Henry

Were you trying to change the default MAC address of the router to the MAC of the cable modem ? Why would you do that... ? You would have two devices with the same MAC on a single link. There might go something wrong then indeed.

Reply to
Koen Pollentier

The CM and the router will need individual MAC addresses on the public interface. I'm envisioning something like this;

Cable feed to property CM Router PC1 PC2 etc

So, the link between the CM and the router is over ethernet. The router will lease a public IP address from the ISP via DHCP, offer DHCP leases to the private network, and act as a NAT router between the PCs and the internet.

You will need to ensure that the router uses it's own MAC to communicate upstream to the ISP. Also, with my ISP (which is also cable) I need to register MAC addresses with them before they will allow them to lease IPs.

HTH!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy Lawson

Did you powercycle the router before switching to the cable modem?

Reply to
CJ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.