GigaFast EE400-R Router

I have 3 computers connected to this router, which in turn is connected to a DSL modem.

(1) PC with Windows XP and PCI ethernet card (2) PC with Windows 98 and PCI ethernet card (3) Laptop with Windows 98 and 3Com PCMCIA ethernet card.

I could get on to the web using PC/WXP or laptop/W98 through the router. I also could get on to the web using PC/W98 without the router. However, with the router, I couldn't access the web using PC/W98. I recently reformatted the hard drive of PC/W98 and the problem persisted.

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Smith
Loading thread data ...

Who is the ISP? How dows the router get it's public IP address?? DHCP or PPPoE?

Given your description of the problem, it sounds like you're in an area that uses PPPoE (or PPPoA) to login and authenticate on the xDSL network. The router is configured to automatically log you in and authenticate whenever a system behind the router need to "get out on the 'net".

The XP PC and Laptop are probably configured to "obtain IP address automatically" but the Win98 PC has some kind of PPPoE client installed on it or it is configured for a static IP address. The reformat and reinstallation of Win98 should have cleared that up. Make sure the Win98 PC is indeed setup to use DHCP to get it's local IP address (obtain address automatically). Then use either IPCONFIG /ALL or winipcfg to verify/see if you are getting an IP address from the router. Most small routers should be giving you IP addresses in the 192.168.x.y address space (the class C private address space).

The fact that the other two PC's are getting out without trouble seems to indicate that those two machines and the router are configured OK. Look to the Win98 PC for the source of the trouble.

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Thanks a lot for your advice. I have Verizon DSL.

I tried winipcfg and received this error message:

"Error DHCP server unavailable: Renewing adapter."

In the W98 control panel, I did check the box for "Use DHCP for WINS resolution" and the box for "Obtain IP address automatically."

Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Smith

Thanks a lot for your advice. I have Verizon DSL.

I tried winipcfg and received this error message:

"Error DHCP server unavailable: Renewing adapter."

In the W98 control panel, I did check the box for "Use DHCP for WINS resolution" and the box for "Obtain IP address automatically."

Any further suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
John Smith

I know this maybe a dumb question but, did you enter a Gateway address?

I have Win 98SE here & my DSL modem is also a router when doing PPPoA. I have to enter the LAN side IP of the modem/router on the Gateway tab of my network card to get out to the internet.

Also, I would think a comparison of the network card TCP/IP settings between your two Win 98 computers would be a good idea. Try to match the settings of the desktop to those of the laptop.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Been a while since I used Win98 on a regular basis. In Device Manager, is the ethernet card properly detected and installed without any errors?

Are the proper drivers loaded?

Any conflicts with other devices?

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

Did you try using a different LAN port on the GigaFast? Maybe one was bad?

Steve.

Reply to
Steve East

Reply to
John Smith

Yes, the two sets of settings match.

Reply to
John Smith

Thanks for the advice. Even though I have DSL, the router detected DHCP, not PPPoA.

Reply to
John Smith

Thanks for all the good advice.

I replaced the GigaFast router by a new Netgear router (R614v3). Now everything works fine, but I still don't understand what the problem was!

Reply to
John Smith

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried all four ports. I suspect some software in GigaFast might have been corrupted, because for a long time it has worked very well.

Reply to
John Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.