turning pcmcia card to internal

Wouldn't it be easier to buy one of the PCI card that take PCMCIA or Cardbus cards on a slot on em? Like this

formatting link
Features Allows CardBus (PCMCIA) device connected to the rear panel of the host PC, such as GPRS modem, Wireless LAN, Bluetooth, CardBus hard drive, Firewire/USB host controller, Serial-ATA host controller, or LAN adapter Specifications General PCI Specification Revision 2.2 compliant PC Card Standard Release 8.0 Specification compliant Supports 16-bit (PCMCIA 2.1/JEIDA 4.2) and 32-bit (CardBus) PC card with

3.3V/5V operation Supports Hot Swapping

Cost... $20.99 at

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

Just get a mini-pci one. There's also a bluetooth one that is flush with the side. Demarc also makes one that doesn't stick out, but I think it doesn't have an internal antenna.

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Also, I doubt you could fine a place for it in the laptop.. there's very little unused space.

Reply to
Michael Shaffer

Reply to
gekco

I want to turn my wireless pcmcia network card to be internal. Has anyone ever taken apart the external part of a wireless pcmcia card? Is it possible to break open the external part, open up the laptop, and run and stuff the guts inside the laptop so I have wireless without the card sticking out?

Has anyone done this? Or does anyone have a broken/old card they could donate to me (i can paypal shipping) for me to try this idea? I understand the factor about antenna positioning and reception issues, but I think if I could try this I could find a well enough spot inside to be near as good as with the card sticking out.

post the thoughts please!

Reply to
Brian

No. Really bad idea for a bunch of reasons.

Look for a Mini-PCI card slot (maybe it already has a modem and/or Ethernet card in it or something) that you could put a WiFi card into (plus or minus the antenna rathole, many laptops already have the antennas.)

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Reply to
Brian

Will probably be a couple of access points covered with a plastic cover in the base with a tiny screw in each. One will probably be access to the memory. Other will probably be access to the mini PCI. The modem will most likely be mini PCI.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.