Any improvements with DSL within the last three years?

Hello, is it me or has DSL not been better in being available to more places? The last I checked was when GTE was still around. I checked to see if I can get DSL because of my cable modem service issues. DSL is still unavailable due to great distance 18K feet (was 19.5K feet three years ago).

I thought by now, DSL service would be better. IDSL and satellite Internet services are still expensive as always.

Reply to
ANTant
Loading thread data ...

Unless they built a CO closer to you than the one you used 3 years ago or equipped the old CO with dslams, the service is not going to be more available now than 3 years back. However, there has been quite an improvement in speed/money ratio for those lucky to be close enough to get the service. Basically, you are getting 1.5Mb/s for the same money that bought you 128Kb/s or 256KB/s three years ago (downstream speeds).

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

Dang it. I thought DSL technology would had been improved by now. What about this fiber thing I keep hearing about?

Reply to
ANTant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.