win 98 wifi problem...

Hi, Installing my new Netgear MA401 WiFi card on this Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop causes all Windows 98 networking applications to crash - they barely even open, and I have no internet access when this happens. This is the sequence:

1. Laptop PC has internet access working fine with my PCMCIA Ethernet card hard-wired to my DSL Modem/Ethernet-Switch/Wifi-Access-Point.
  2. I install the Netgear WiFi card in the other PCMCIA socket, and the Netgear drivers (no errors), then restart Win 98 as diredcted.
  3. I open Outlook Express - it immediately crashes with a fatal error. I open Internet Explorer and try to reach any web page, even my router's config page - it immediately crashes and wants to send the 'problem report' to Microsoft.

While these programs are crashing, the ethernet connection is still present and hard-wired to my router, and the WiFi card is not yet configured to access the same router (i haven't set the SSID yet, so there's no network connection on that interface). I can recover only by restoring a previously copied registry. Netgear does not have any solution. Any ideas?

thanks, js.

Reply to
Joey_
Loading thread data ...

maybe;; remove the wired pc nic, maybe disable it in device mgr.

fwiw; winME would not run on Toshiba sat/lap here w/wifi pc card plugged in until disconnecting internal LAN in control panels ToshibaHdweSetup doesn't seem to matter with XP

Reply to
bumtracks

you should setup your router before installing your new wired card. after the router is setup disconnect your wired connection and install the wireless adapter. Use the client software and everything should work....

Robert...

Reply to
DLink Guru

I couldn't install PCMCIA WiFi card on Toshiba Satellite Pro with Window98. Is that the problem on Bias?

Reply to
Inon

Thanks - it sounds like your recommendation is to never have both the Wired and the Wireless NIC installed at the same time. Have you seen problems with this before, and do you know why it causes a problem in Win 98?

did you mean the following? :

CARD TO MATCH THE ROUTER CONFIG] and everything should work....

thanks, js.

Reply to
Joey_

thanks for this good feedback. I have an older, Toshiba Tecra 8000 with two Type II card slots.

What do you mean by "Bias"?

regards, js.

Reply to
Joey_

It is miss typing. It should be Bios.

Reply to
Inon

I'm not sure if your laptop BIOS is the problem - I think some WiFi cards simply don't work with Win 98.

js.

Reply to
Joey_

Joey:

More accurately some wifi kit *drivers* require Win98 SE or better. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

I bought a Linksys WPC54G Wireless PC Card and it says --willwork with Win98 SE but having problems with it. I uninstalled software and tried to install it again and message comes up WLAN Monitors and Drivers for WPC54G are already installed and wont let me by this pont.

Reply to
The Trucker

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.