Ethernet card??

I am awaiting delivery of a complete BT wireless kit, comprising of:: a) Voyager 2100 Wireless ADSL Modem/Router 802.11G. b) PCI card (1040), for the desktop PC c) Voyager 1060 PCMCIA card for my laptop.

Currently using BT Voyager 105 USB ADSL Modem for broadband. Having started to "read" up prior to installation I read about an ETHERNET connection/card, required.!! I am not aware of having such a card (not showing in device manager). Can someone please explain if I need to obtain an ethernet card or will the new BT Voyager 2100 router and kit above take care of it? TIA

Reply to
tel
Loading thread data ...

The PCI-1040 is a wireless card that goes in your desktop to connect to the internet. Some folks think you need a wired etherent connection at least for initial setup, but you might not, and don't need one long term.

formatting link

Reply to
dold

They *may* just be playing safe but I have seen some routers where the wireless side was off by default (so you would have no way to connect if you were wireless only). If you have a laptop there is a good chance that has an ethernet port built in and you normally get one ethernet patch cable with the router to connect it with (so you wouldn't *need* one in the PC).

If you had one it would normally appear under "Network adapters" ..

It's normally easier to connect to the router via cable (rather than trying wireless) and moreso it may also be easy lock yourself out over wireless (when you are setting up the security for example) and the wired connection would give you a way back in.

A PCI 'Ethernet card' would only cost a tenner and would be a handy thing to have in yer PC anyway?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.