DSL connection

Sometimes my DSL connection will disconnected, the DSL light on my modem will keep on blinking. I'm using PPPoE. Is that affected by the software or IPS connection ? Thanks

Rgds Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Tan
Loading thread data ...

You do not say what hardware (modem or modem/router) and software. But typically when the DSL LED on modem is blinking, you have lost sync, and PPPoE is not going to work until the it gets a steady DSL LED. If you have ethernet or act lights, it is normal for those to blink when there is network traffic.

Could be any number of reasons, weak signal, bad outside or inside wiring or jack, bad or missing filter on some other phone equipment. Not sure what you have in your part of the world, but here we typically have a box outside called a NID that marks the point where the telephone company wiring ends and our own wiring begins. The home wiring plugs into a modular (RJ11 jack), so we can just disconnect the home wiring, and plug the modem right into the NID to rule out any inside wiring problems. If we still have a problem there it is a telephone company problem.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Hi, i have DSL modem. My DSL wiring just plugged into the RJ11 phone jack and everythings seems normal outside. But from what u mentioned, the diconnection is most likely caused by hardware ?

Rgds Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Tan

Heh. I only just got one of those a couple of weeks ago. The tech who installed it seemed to think that it should have been done when we got the DSL service 3-1/2 years ago. But everything worked, until three weeks ago, or so. Oh, the tech didn't think that changing the NID would fix the problem; he did it to make it easier to isolate the premises wiring and connect a phone directly to the network. The old carbon block NID would require an alligator clip fixture to connect a POTS device to the network, after disconnecting the premises.

Oh, the short of it was that they had to switch us to another pair. None of the CPE was at fault; something down the wire.

Reply to
NormanM

If you using individual filters for each phone device, make sure that all devices connected to phone system (except the DSL modem) have DSL filters. For example phones, dialup/fax modems or fax machines, answering machine, and in my case filtering my water meter read by phone.

But it could be a problem with wiring between you and telco or at the telco. I once had trouble making long distant calls and it turned out there was a bad connection at the phone company between local and long distance carrier. They had to reseat a connector or card at their end.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.