DSL connection history logger?

I'm looking for a freeware/shareware program (or something built into Windows XP?) that tracks the history of a DSL connection for many hours. I'm trying to track intermittent outages without having to be at the computer when they happen.

The history log should show the exact times when the modem was disconnected and how long it took to re-sync with the central office. I've found seveal apps that don't quite do what I'm after. They just stop or crash when the connection is lost. Thanks for any info.

JT

Reply to
JT
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@beanstalk.net (JT) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Don't know who makes your box, but there's a remote chance that it's keeping a log internally.

For example, my Actiontec GT701 has one that you can see via its Web interface at

/cgi-bin/webcm?getpage=../html/syslog.html

This log is not mentioned in any document that I've ever seen; I found it by accident.

If you can telnet into the box, take a look around.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:46:50 -0000, JT put finger to keyboard and composed:

My ADSL modem/router has a built-in log which can be accessed through its browser interface:

formatting link
I don't think the same functionality can be implemented in software, unless it periodically polls the modem.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, I've got a similar page which only seems to show live stats.

I just found this app, which may do the trick. It's not specific to the task, though.

formatting link

JT

Reply to
JT

One of my favorite system network monitering tools is called Servers Alive (aka "salive"). For what you want to do, it's free. For people with real networks, it's cheap.

Run it on your PC and tell it to monitor the first IP number upstream from your DSL router. You could also monitor your ISPs DNS servers.

formatting link
Windows Tracrt command will tell you what the IP numbers are for the boxes that connect you to your ISP.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Doesn't work on my Actiontec GT701.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

snipped-for-privacy@SPAM2TRASH.com (Frankster) wrote in news:Ka2dnQxN4-tI_HHZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Maybe it depends on what version of firmware you have installed; I have the latest from Qwest's support site.

I'll check again at home this evening; maybe I transcribed the URL incorrectly.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Thanks. I'm also running the latest firmware from Qwest.

I also telnetted in but could not find the syslog you referenced. Perhaps you can find the directory path to it.

Thanks,

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Well, I checked again and it's where I thought it was:

http://10.0.0.1/cgi-bin/webcm?getpage=../html/syslog.html [My router's address is set to 10.0.0.1, which is different from the default which I think it's 192.168.something, so change it to match yours]

The text file with the logfile is at

/var/log/messages

The first few lines of mine after a cold boot look like this:

0:00:00 Elapsed Time syslogd started: BusyBox v0.61.pre 0:00:18 Elapsed Time klogd: DSL in Sync 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: Plugin pppoa loaded. 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: PPPoA Plugin Initialized 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: Plugin pppoa called. 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: PPPoATM setdevname_pppoatm - SUCCESS 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: Options file - /etc/ppp/options.0.32. 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: pppd 2.4.1 started by admin, uid 0 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: setting line discipline hook 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: connect_pppoatm_ses...Enter 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: connect_pppoatm_ses: socket created fd

- 0xd. 0:00:25 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: connect_pppoatm_ses: setsockopt called. 0:00:26 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: connect_pppoatm_ses: connect successful. 0:00:26 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: Calling line discipline hook 0:00:26 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: Setting pppoatm line discipline. 0:00:26 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: vc encaps. 0:00:26 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: Using interface ppp0 0:00:26 Elapsed Time pppd[226]: Connect: ppp0 -> 0:00:26 Elapsed Time logic: Enter act_fun_netmeeting of do_priv Act_function/nm_state=0 0:00:26 Elapsed Time logic: Enter act_fun_netmeeting of do_priv

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Hmm.. well... here's what I get when I telnet in...

----------------------- # pwd /var/log # # ls -alF drwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 0 Sep 8 12:00 ./ drwxr-xr-x 1 0 0 0 Sep 8 12:00 ../

-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 12 Sep 8 14:48 br0_nas0

-rw------- 1 0 0 20601 Sep 19 12:06 messages

-rw-r--r-- 1 0 0 8 Sep 8 14:48 ppp0_auth_fail # #

---------------------------

If I cat messages I get mainly all the dns failures. But I can't find any "syslog.html" anywhere.

Anyway, my version is: QW04-3.60.2.0.6.3-GT701-WG. I think that is the latest.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Yes, but all the other messages are in there too. Right now, the end of mine has:

2:39:27 Elapsed Time klogd: DSL out of sync 2:39:27 Elapsed Time klogd: DSL in Sync 2:39:44 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 216.250.190.144. 2:39:54 Elapsed Time klogd: DSL out of sync 2:39:54 Elapsed Time klogd: DSL in Sync 2:40:00 Elapsed Time -- MARK -- 2:40:04 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 216.250.190.144. 2:40:24 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 216.250.190.144. 2:40:44 Elapsed Time syslog: DNS request timeout, server: 216.250.190.144. 2:40:55 Elapsed Time klogd: DSL out of sync 2:40:55 Elapsed Time klogd: DSL in Sync

Hmm.... Never saw the "DSL out of sync" before...

Try /usr/www/html/syslog.html

Or, just enter the URL into your Web browser

http://10.0.0.1/cgi-bin/webcm?getpage=../html/syslog.html changing 10.0.0.1 to the IP address of your router

Reply to
Bert Hyman

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message news:Xns9829C28585FDEVeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7...

I'll bet it was just a re-sync operation due to line fluctuatiuons.

The link doesn't work for me (yes, I changed the IP to my own). But that is becuase I have no syslog.html. Perhaps that is becuase I have my modem configured as basically a pass-through (DHCP off, static public IP assinged) to my own internal firewall/router.

Below is my listing of the /usr/www/html directory...

---------------------------------------------- # ls /usr/www/html account.html custom_setup_static_route.html actiontec.html custom_setup_telnet_timeout.html applied.html custom_setup_upnp.html atec.html custom_setup_wep.html basic_setup.html custom_setup_wpa.html basic_setup4.html dsl_setup.html basic_setup4_pppoe.html dsl_status.html basic_setup_congrats.html help.html basic_setup_dsl.html index.html basic_setup_finish.html logo.gif basic_setup_select.html nonwindows_setup.html change_sett.html savetoflash_hide.html cms.html setup.html cms_telnet.html space.gif custom_setup.html status.html custom_setup10.html status_hide.html custom_setup11.html status_lan.html custom_setup12.html status_left.html custom_setup13.html status_nat.html custom_setup3.html status_qos.html custom_setup4.html status_real.html custom_setup5.html status_refresh.html custom_setup51.html status_route.html custom_setup5_dhcp.html status_user.html custom_setup5_pppoa.html status_wan_bridged.html custom_setup5_pppoe.html status_wan_dhcp.html custom_setup6.html status_wan_ppp.html custom_setup61.html ti.html custom_setup9.html tick.gif custom_setup_8021x.html tools.html custom_setup_access.html tools_left.html custom_setup_apadv.html tools_left_test.html custom_setup_aport.html tools_modemtest.html custom_setup_aprate.html tools_restore.html custom_setup_left.html tools_secwin.html custom_setup_nat.html tools_secwin_hide.html custom_setup_qos.html tools_secwin_real.html custom_setup_qosds.html tools_syslog.html custom_setup_rip.html tools_upgrade.html custom_setup_security.html tools_upgrade_real.html custom_setup_security_def.html upgrade_completed.html custom_setup_ssid.html wireless_help.html # #

---------------------------------------------------

Hmm just tried the above http://......"tools_syslog.html" and viola, there it is in my browser.... hmm... :)

Wonder why ours are different.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Weird... I just checked Qwest's Web site and the firmware level they have for download is OLDER than the one I currently have.

The one one the Web site is QW04-3.60.2.0.6.3, but the one I have is QW05-3.60.3.0.7.5. I wonder if they pulled the version I have for some reason.

Which version do you have?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I have QW04-3.60.2.0.6.3-GT701-WG.

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

On 25 Aug 2006 01:56:37 GMT, Bert Hyman put finger to keyboard and composed:

formatting link

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

Well, that's certainly interesting; I wonder what it's all about.

Mine seems to be working just fine.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.