fastest way to install ADSL service

We are installing ADSL services, mostly G.Lite in Malaysia. Our citizens are not technically good in computer technology but so are most other nations. I don't think it is matter of literacy because my own brother, who is a civil engineer, does not even know anything about it.

Telekom Malaysia supplies the ZXDSL which is equipped with a router at extra cost but I notice that many customers prefer to choose this package so it is an advantage in fast installation of ADSL service. Telekom only enable the modem function so must use the supplied software, WinPoet, in order to login using PPPoE.

ADSL service is provided using DSLAM and ATM switches. Not sure how the PPPoE is provided.

I don't see any need for this PPP because subscribers are already connected to the network but it could be some form of computer user account control, similar to telnet, except that with PPP, full internet function is provided, instead of just text, as a text terminal in the case of telnet or even X-term. The PPP also provide dynamic address allocation but this function can be provided by DHCP which appear to be stable since even the ZXDSL modem is equipped with DHCP and DNS relay functions.

I bet the fastest way to install ADSL service is the above, DHCP based instead of PPP based. this means there is no account control by ISP. Telco will control the service by physical unplugging of service but there is virtually no setup required. It is also the cheapest.

Of course modem connection is not allowed, only modem with routers. Any flaw in the above argument? Any other better alternative? How is it done in other countries?

Reply to
Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad
Loading thread data ...

Yes. PPP is a WAN protocol that provide password authentication via CHAP or PAP, error control & link compression.

Yes. Technically, you can do that since PPPoE is basically extending ethernet over WAN link. So you can also provide user IP Address via dhcp. But how are you going to control abuse?

One more thing you will need to consider is the billing system. How are you going to charge your customer? There is reason why you want to authenticate users, so that you can offer premium services later on when you guys are ready to roll up the service. For example, some users might subscribe different package that allow them not only internet access but also to its other multimedia service such as private TV channel etc. But theoritically, I believed what you are suggesting can be done and I bet they already thought about it.

Rgds,

Mr Magoo

Reply to
Mr_Magoo

----snip----

Ok forgot, Few things you will need to consider is the traffic you gonna cause to the backbone if you allow any Tom, Dick & Harry to just buy the modem and plug into the network. How are you going to do your capacity planning? Are you going to provide enough DSLAM at every Telekom exchange to support theoritically every phone line? Have you consider this cost? Considering that not everybody might want to use it? Don't tell me you are going to provide 1-1 ratio?

No doubt it is cheaper to deploy it in term of technical support you need to install at customer-end premises but think of the additional hardware cost you will have to invest on Telekom side. You will still need to regulate it some how so that any users who want broadband service will still have to apply for it.

Rgds,

Mr Magoo

Reply to
Mr_Magoo

othmana@buangsampah (Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad) wrote in news:4120a415 snipped-for-privacy@news.tm.net.my:

What, exactly, was your reason for posting here?

Simply to insult your employer and the other people in the newsgroup?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

is the traffic you

Tom, Dick & Harry to just

you going to do your

Obviously you don't know anything about Telekom.

side. You will still

who want broadband

If our CEO and CIO are as ignorant as you are, we are in deep shit.

However I am not at liberty to explain in detail. We are still waiting for clear directions. You can ask John Smith. He seems to know a lot about Telekom.

To give you a clue my unit is called: BSQM, O&M , Telco Wholesale

We are not in full swing because many details are still not clear.

Reply to

billing system. How

reason why you want to

premium services later on

For example, some

These are chicken feed problems. We have much better solutions. You are looking at it from the knowledge of a computer guy, not a telecom guy. That is why I am really worried that our CIO is also a computer guy.

allow them not only

service such as

believed what you are

thought about it.

I was searching through the internet and I notice many ISP use them.

I am willing to give free consultation on these technologies once Telekom give us clear directions on where to go. At the moment, I have to keep my lips/fingers sealed.

Reply to

And obviously you don't know where I used to work before. In fact we probably have met before when I was in Sabah. If I am not mistaken you are holding either a GM or Unit Head post.

Another Mat Salleh who seems to know everything? Ah...again...

That is not a surprise to me anyway.

Rgds,

Mr Magoo

Reply to
Mr_Magoo

Ahmad) wrote in

we

That should be obvious.

people in the newsgroup? I must have hit some nerves. I am indeed worried that the same people as in the newsgroup, i.e. computer scientiests/system analysts/administrators, are managing our company, Telekom Malaysia, a Telecommunication Provider company. These 2 guys, CEO and CIO are new, starting from 1/July/2004.

This magoo appeared to be an accomplished computer guy himself, much better than my own brother who is a Civil Engineer.

If he can make the basic mistakes, unthinkable to a Telecom guy, you must understand my deepest worry about our new CEO and CIO (Chief Information Officer) which implies computer background.

If you really understand the title of this topic, it is meant more for the hardware service provider, not the user or even the ISP providers that use the backbone telecom infrastructure. Since I notice that nobody seem to notice the errors that a telecom guy can easily spot, this must be a wrong newsgroup for me.

Reply to

And obviously you don't know where I used to work before. In fact we probably have met before when I was in Sabah. If I am not mistaken you are holding a Unit Head post at that time and probably a GM now.

Another Mat Salleh who seems to know everything? Ah...again...

That is not a surprise to me anyway.

Email me in private if you would like to discuss this thing in personal.

Rgds,

Mr Magoo

Reply to
Mr_Magoo

I'd like to discuss it in detail. Can you email me at snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com This is a spam proof email or I don't read it a lot.

Reply to

email to snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com.

Reply to

Who is John Smith... mmpphhh.. blur here...

Can i find that in Tesco???? What the heck is that.... O&M.... is it GABAN.... What do u aspect.. Everyone here is a IR.... hah ahhahhahhahahah... LOL

Now.... Don't tell me u a bit blur..... Got engineer from sabah.... he is funnier than u...

Reply to
lalusana

Ahhh...the meetings of good for nothing Malay graduates (that only can survive because of governments help) guild?

It figures....LOL.

BTW...how much is that GM title worth outside of Malaysia?

Reply to
Observer

Naw you're being insolent.

NO ONE is funnier than the "haji" who's capable of producing "scientific works" that has no science in it... LOL.

Reply to
Observer

I suppose you missed the change to IC&T?

That's very nice of you. cheers,

Paul Saccani Perth West Australia

Reply to
Paul Saccani

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:25:17 +0800, "Observer" put finger to keyboard and composed:

When I worked in Malaysia, it was common to see a Chinese company with a non-functional Malay co-director who was on the books merely to satisfy the discriminatory and counterproductive Bumiputra policy. University places were assigned according to a race based quota system rather than on academic merit. Whereas 9 out of 10 places would normally have gone to Chinese students, the Bumiputra policy ensured that Malays filled the majority of positions, regardless of their academic ability.

- Franc Zabkar

Reply to
Franc Zabkar

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.