Wireless Router/Firewall recommendation?

Looking for a good quality Wireless Router with Firewall.

Just thought I'd leave it at that and ask for recommendations.

TIA,

-Bob

Reply to
The Letter 'F'
Loading thread data ...

Thanks!

Can you FW off various services/ports/sites?

-Bob

Reply to
The Letter 'F'

A wireless NAT router for home usage is not running a FW. It's a simple NAT device that may or mat not have some FW *like* features.

However, the NAT router is good enough in the home protection by not forwarding unsolicited inbound traffic to machines on the network.

I use to use a Linksys NAT router 11S4 and there is the 54g. Whatever you get, make sure it can do logging so that you can use a log viewer so that you can watch inbound and outbound traffic to/from machines on the network for dubious connections/activity.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Man, thanks so much!

-Bob

Reply to
The Letter 'F'

The ports on the NAT router are closed by default. And since the ports on a NAT router are closed by default, services running on machines behind a NAT router are protected. That's until you start doing high risks things like port forwarding and opening ports on a NAT router exposing a machine running a service to the public Internet.

I know the 11S4 doesn't have the features you're looking for in a device. The 54G may be able to do some of it like at the very least WEB filtering.

Other manufacturers of wireless NAT routers are D-Link, Netgear, Belkin, SMC which are some of the top wireless router manufactures.

What you could do is go to each Website and look at product datasheets and specs and find one that's going to meet your needs.

Your best bet may be Netgear that would have additional featres that would come in the ball park of being a NAT router running something like a FW appliance that meets the specs of *What does a FW do* in the link.

formatting link
You can either go up the chain and look t high-end routers that are wireless or low-end FW appliances that are wireless.

proping ports

Reply to
Duane Arnold

formatting link
> >>

No problem

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.