Wireless Router Recommendation

OK, a router can be used to share either a (cable modem) or DSL broadband connection. The only difference is, if you use the router with DSL, then the PPPOE information needs to be programmed into the router. If you use the router with a cable modem, then it's not likely that you'd have to enter any information into the router to get it to work OK. At worst, you might have to enter a MAC address for it to "spoof".

The wireless bit is a whole other story. The wireless connection needs to be set up in the wireless access point (or router). The wireless connection also needs to be set up on each computer that will use it.

You are in luck, as buy.com has a Belkin brand wireless "g" broadband sharing router on sale for thirty bucks at the moment, and free shipping.

formatting link
For the wireless access cards for each computer, you CAN use a USB adapter, but I would strongly suggest that you do NOT use one. The reason is that USB is rather a slow interface. It will be a bottleneck. A better idea would be to get a PCI format wireless access card for each computer. If a notebook, get a cardbus style wireless access card. The access cards you use with each computer do not have to be any specific brand. However, I've had good luck with Belkin brand. So the following would be a good match for a Belkin brand (or any other brand) router. I use Belkin brand access cards with a Netgear WGR614 wireless "g" router, by the way. Note that these access cards are also on sale for about thirty bucks, free shipping. -Dave

formatting link

Reply to
Dave C.
Loading thread data ...

Hi, I have cable broadband at home (NTL), I am considering getting a wireless Router to allow me to use several machines in my home to surf the web and browse my network. Initial thoughts on what I need is a DSL Router (non modem version) and USB wireless adapters. Or with cable can I get an ADSL modem and router in one and scrap my cable modem? I am looking for a recommendation of a good value, but quality bit of kit that would do this. Do I have to have a XXXX brand router and XXXX brand USB adapter, or can I mix and match with different makes of kit? Is there a standard type/speed this is good? I have seen '802.11g' on some sites, but don't know what this is.

Many thx for any help. Stu

Reply to
Stuart Palmer

formatting link
but what is the benefit of a 108 mbps compared to 54? I know it's twice as

Well, I've never used D-Link, but that kit you linked to looks OK. It should do the trick. Wireless technology is constantly changing. The latest official standard was 802.11g (AFAIK), which is "54". Some manufacturers are gearing up for 108 already, even though that new standard wasn't finalized, last I heard. But I HAVE read that it will be faster and offer greater range.

Still, for the average sized home, 802.11g should work great. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Hi Dave, Thx for the suggestion, however I am in the UK so don't think it would be wise for me to buy something from the US rom a garantee point of view :o( I have found a Dlink Bundle

formatting link
what is the benefit of a 108 mbps compared to 54? I know it's twice as fast, but is there something that this can be compared to? (i.e x mb in x seconds). I took on board your comment e: the usb device and as I can going to connect via a laptop primarily then this is the best option, my desktop will be next to the router so can go in through a wired connection.

Many thx for help on this as I am not sure exactly what is best and how good dlink kit is

Stu

Reply to
Stuart Palmer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.