Problem Networking w/McAfee Firewall Enabled

Greetings, I have three wired Windows XP machines that were previously networked and file/printer sharing successfully using a Belkin router and w/McAfee Firewall enabled. Recently bought a wireless laptop (also Windows XP) and a new Linksys WRT54G wireless router.The problem is that each of my three wired machines and the wireless laptop are all recognized by the router and each is able to access the internet, but my LAN is non-existent unless I first disable McAfee's Firewall which I'd prefer not to do. I'm confused as it worked for Belkin, but not Linksys. I'd prefer NOT to leave the firewall disabled. Does anybody have a workaround for this? TIA!!!

Reply to
Jim Conway
Loading thread data ...

What do you mean here?

Either you know about setting rules on the PFW/host based packet filter (McAfee) to allow traffic on the Windows Networking ports that's 137-139 UDP and 445 TCP for LAN IP(s) or you don't.

Either McAfee has an automatic setting that allows those rules to be enabled to open the WNP(s) or it doesn't.

So what did you do in the past with the PFW to allow those ports to be open with McAfee using the other router.

Surely, you had to do something.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Gee Duane, thanks for obfuscating things further for me.... :)

I merely took my already configured and firewall protected PC's and physically moved them from one router to another. Sounds like the Linksys has conflicts the Belkin didn't.

Reply to
Jim Conway

I doubt it. The Windows Networking Ports are the networking ports and if they are open on the PFW then they are open on the PFW and it makes no difference what is being used to provide the networking.

It could be a hub, switch, gateway computer, router, FW appliance or what brand name is being used that's providing the networking. It's all the same when it comes to networking with the devices providing plumbing for the LAN.

You should think about it. If the networking with the router is working when you drop the PFW(s), then the router has nothing to do with it.

The router is not the issue and you should be concerned as to why things are not working when the PFW(s) are active as it seems the PFW(s) are doing the blocking of traffic between the machines and the router has nothing to do with it, unless you're posting mis-information.

Now, if you drop the PFW(s) and things are not networking, then you may have a case with the router and protocols being used in the NIC(s). But that doesn't seem to be the case. ;-)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.