wireless router cable modem recommendations?

Hi,

I am looking for a good 802.11g wireless router which will serve the purpose as a cable modem and a wireless access point (router). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks NK Ab

Reply to
nkab
Loading thread data ...

Don't. Get a Motorola SB5100 cable modem and a Netgear/Linksys wireless G router with 4-port switch. That should cover your needs for like $80 and you can replace one or the other without having the cost of replacing both. $50 for the modem and $30 for the router at several elctronics outlets (may require rebate).

If you're interested in VOIP, then models will vary.

Reply to
$Bill

Yes. I suggest you NOT put all your eggs in a single basket. But the cable modem, and router/WAP as two boxes. Then if one function fails, you won't be out as much to correct the problem.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Another vote: Don't do this.

Get a separate 802.11g wireless router -- I use and recommend the Linksys WRT-54G. Don't bother with the GS model, unless you are going to put corresponding Linksys "GS" cards in your wireless computers.

For a cable modem, I use and like the Motorola "Surfboard" SB5100. You can usually find this with a good rebate at the big box stores. If you are getting a new cable Internet account, you can usually get it free after rebates.

There is too much opportunity to have a single unit screw up and bring both your Internet connection AND your network down.

Reply to
Terry Stockdale

Agreed. In addition, I would put a dedicated firewall appliance between the cable modem and the router.

Reply to
Robert L. Haar

Whichever one you get, make sure it has WPA (TKIP) for encryption, preferably WPA2 (AES).

WEP is garbage.

Reply to
speeder

Not to mention that if a significant improvement in one or the other comes along, it is less expensive to update only one.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Not necessary, nor usually practical, except for business use.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Maybe not necessary. But it is highly advisable to have some kind of firewall protection. NATing in a router only hides IP addresses but does not protect from the wide variety of malware that exists in the wild. I saw a recent article that said the half life of a new, unprotected PC on a broadband connection before it was infected with some kind of malware is 12 minutes. Reasonable computer hygiene with anti-virus software helps (as does usign an OS that is less under attack that Windows) but there is still too much spyware floating around to be safe.

For a single computer, it might be sufficient to use a software firewall. However, I like to have a layer defense where the layers are as independent as possible. In addition, If you have multiple computers on a network, having a single, firewall that protects the entire network is easier to manage and guarantees that you have protection for all of them.

Practical? - very. I have a dedicated hardware firewall that cost $79 and is a a totally plug it in between the cable modem and router and step away installation. You can customize the set up and monitor it through a web interface if you want. I does bi-direction statefull packet inspection - features missing from some software firewalls. This is hardly a commercial installation - just a home network. If you don't want to buy one and have a bit of technical knowledge, you can build one from an old PC and Linux.

You can get routers with integrated firewall functions, maybe even a combination modem/firewall/router. But if you are advocating separating the modem and router into two distinct devices, then the same reasoning applies to the firewall.

I see no excuse for no having a firewall.

Reply to
Robert L. Haar

I never suggested NOT having a firewall. I have three computers on my network, two desktops, and a Wi-Fi laptop. Each runs Outpost Firewall Pro (Family license), and this enables tailored bi-directional, statefull packet checking, and application monitoring, as well as several other functions, such as DNS caching, and popup suppression. This enables me to have each computer set up for the best control, while allowing each to access files on the network. And, yes, the maximum security is turned on for the Wi-Fi laptop in the router.

That, a good anti-virus program, and good 'safe hex' practices, have protected me from getting any nasties for the past 10 years or so.

I also run periodic spyware scans, and have Microsoft Antispyware beta installed.

Reply to
Ron Hunter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.