USB wireless antenna

Will wireless USB antennas work with pc1 ports?

If the answer is no, I may need to turn down a pc I'm interested in buying.

Reply to
rb
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 13:25:44 -0600, "rb" wrotd:

I'll have to show my ignorance here... what might a "PC1" port be?

If you're referring to a PCI connection, anything USB-based will not connect to that type of port. If you'r talking about a PC with a PCI-based wireless connection, and another device with a wireless USB-based connection... sure they can talk.

Reply to
Froggie the Gremlin

Those are the USB ports in front (pc-1), and USB ports in back (pc-2). Just wondered if I can use the front ports for my USB wireless antenna.

If I put a printer on front ports, it slowed way down.

Reply to
rb

That would seem to be a configuration that is unusual, and requires more explanation, and disclosure of what PC you have.

USB 1.1 ports are not fast enough to fully utilize a 802.11g 54Mbps connection, but the "g" devices should work fine.

Are these ports labeled pc-1 and pc-2, or how did you determine that nomenclature? If a USB 2.0 device is plugged into a USB 1.1 port on Windows XP, it might pop up a window suggesting that the device would work faster plugged in to a USB 2.0 port.

Reply to
dold

There are front USB ports. When I plug a printer in, there's extremely slow.

There are four USB ports back on the back side. When printers go in there, they normal speed.

I'd like to use the front ports for my setup is why I was asking the antenna question.

Reply to
rb

On my older computer, the M/B supports USB 2.0, but the internal cables going to the front USB connectors are not up to USB 2.0 spec. I have the characteristic you describe where I get better speed using the rear USB connectors I'm surprised, though, that it would be noticeable with a printer. I always have used the rear connector to print and never tried the front.

-- Joel

Reply to

You can use a usb wireless adapter on usb1.1 ports. It will work and not likely be much of a bottleneck unless you have a very fast internet connecton.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.