USB WiFi adapters. Are any brands better than others?

I need to put a PC on a second room and share an existing broadband connection. In a test with my laptop, signal strength may be two low. Since the PC (desktop) needs a WiFi adapter, anyway, one of the things I'm thinking of trying is a USB WiFi adapter with a long USB cable. That will allow be to place the "antenna" in a better location.

Are any USB WiFi adapters particularly sensitive or have better antennas?

Any other experiences?

Reply to
Al Dykes
Loading thread data ...

Yes, some are definitely better then others, I get good results with D-Link G122 which come with good cradle / stand, which makes is easy to put a reflector behind it. Mine is just a aluminium foil covered V shaped card standing on it edges, makes a lot of difference, my signal comes from another building 80m away, at an acute angle trough two sets of double glazed and leaded windows. But some also applies to routers, Draytek Vigor 2600VG WiFi router works great for me, others (Netgear, D-Link, Zyxel) didn't. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

I am currently connected to a WiFi access point 2.2 miles across the bay with a Hawking HWU8DD adapter. I have two USB extension cables, in addition to the cable that came with it, between the adapter and my laptop, for a total of around 20' of cable. Here's a picture:

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

i ordered this Hawking HWU8dd last week

a little pricey [$65-90] but if it works, there's a [small] chance i won't need my ISP anymore

waterboy

Reply to
waterboy

Is that other antenna just "there", or does it have something to do with it?

Reply to
dold

my guess is, the other atenna is just there, but giving the Hawking a better location, for picking up signal[s]

waterboy

Reply to
waterboy

The other antenna is for TV in his RV, but attaching it to the RV antenna give him the ability to rotate the wireless antenna from with in side the RV.

Reply to
Danny Kile

Correct. It's generally called a "bat wing" antenna. It's used for over the air TV reception.

Reply to
Dave Rudisill

I thought I recognized it, but, given the cobbling nature of the posters here, I thought I'd ask ;-)

I think the last time I saw one was on the back of a limo in "Crocodile Dundee".

Reply to
dold

Dold: Re: "bat wing" antenna.

Correction, the last time you saw it, it was NO longer on the back of the limo :-),

- unless of course you closed your eyes ! Regards, martin

Reply to
Martin²

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.