oh boy i need advice !!

Hi all

I borrowed a Zyxel NBG334WUK01 Wireless DSL Router for my old laptop last month, it came with a usb adapter as my old laptop was not wi-fi enabled. Anyways it worked fine, and for my 2 bedroom house i seemed to get a good reception all over.

So for xmas Santa got me a new laptop with Vista and built in Wi-fi, so not being very adventurous i thought i would buy the same one as i knew it worked. It said on the box that it works with vista but was designed for Xp.

Anyways i got it set up and decided not to use the USB adapter as mine has it built in. It worked fine but only in the same room and when i took the laptop down stairs it would not connect and could not even find the network i had just set up.

I decided to try the dongle and turn my built in Wi-fi off but that did not work properly as the dongle is not vista compatible. according to the website

So basically could it be my built in wi-fi thats not working properly even though its fine if its in the same room as the router?

And if i go and buy maybe a g+ as this was a g would this help my built in wi-fi pick it up better, if it has more range.

Also if i decide to buy a better router with better range that comes with a usb adapter can i just use this? and will it work ok as long as i dont switch the one on in my computer?

Sorry for long thread but i am a newbie to all this and wanted to get all info in.

Thanks all

Chris

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Chris Newton
Loading thread data ...

If you got the G202 as part of the package then the Vista drivers are available.

If it works then it works, just not very well. Apart from the Laptop what is different in setup from when you had coverage throughout the house with the original, same model router and dongle, equipment?

1.Is the router in the same place with the Antenna pointing in the same direction? 2.Is the Transmit power setting in the router set to 100%? 3.Are you using the same Channel and have you tried a different one? You could try installing this WiFi monitor and see if anyone else is using the same Channel or a nearby one:-
formatting link
formatting link
should also be able to check the signal level of the router at different points in your house.
Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.