Which Wireless Network Adapter, PCI card or USB

I am interested in getting a wireless adapter for my desktop to periodically hop onto ambient unsecured wireless signals to check my email. I'm wondering which make and type will work best, a PCI wireless network adapter or a USB wireless network adapter. Maybe there is no difference, but if there is I'd like to know about it. My roommate has a notebook computer and with it she finds we are in range of about six wireless networks, but all show a low or very low signal strength. So I'd be interested in an adapter that will be best at picking up these low-strength signals. Most of the networks within range appear to be Linksys. I guess that means I should probably go witrh a Linksys product to maximize the possibility of picking up the signals.

Thanks

Reply to
dejola
Loading thread data ...

I don't think the type of adapter is going to make a difference in getting a stronger signal from a weak one. Your best bet is to find a closer spot.

Reply to
patricklamarbrown

On 22 Jul 2006 09:58:23 -0700, "dejola" wrote in :

Do you also shoplift, or only steal service?

Getting Permission First.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi,

I have tried both! I think that PCI wireless adapters can perform better than USB because PCI ones always equiped with higher gain antennas.

Naim

formatting link

dejola wrote:

Reply to
Panda

On 23 Jul 2006 07:23:53 -0700, "Panda" wrote in :

Depends. Small USB dongle devices do have limited antennas. But not all USB devices are dongles, and some USB devices have better antennas than most PCI cards. Case in point: Hawking HWU8DD

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
dejola

Bad analogy, as I'm sure you know.

On 23 Jul 2006 08:38:39 -0700, "dejola" wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.