PC forgets wireless usb adapter

One of the problems I have noticed with a different device and the USB to serial port is that once the device is removed from the USB slot it loses its port..I.e., if it was say 6 then it may come up with 4. Taking it out and reinserting it causes it to come up with another port. Systems/Device Manager/Hardware/ Ports.. XP .Luck

Reply to
Spike
Loading thread data ...

Hi

I've just installed a wireless network for use with the internet. It works fine except for the connection to my PC (Wxp sp2) . My Linksys Wireless-B USB Network adapter (WUSB11) is used there. It works fine except when I shut down the PC and then turn it on again, the PC has forgotten that it is connected to a wireless network. Only when I unplug the adapter and plug it into another usb port does my PC realize that it is connected to a working wireless network. Surely all other PCs do not have this forgetfulness. I have reinstalled the device (many times) and downloaded and installed the latest (Linksys) drivers. The problem persists. What else can I try so that the adapter can stay inserted in one place after a shut down and my PC remember that it is there?

John

Reply to
John

When it is plugged in but not working, does it show up in the device manager? What about the USB eject icon? If you eject it before you shut down, will it work on reboot? If you eject it, and then unplug replug, does it work?

Are you using Windows to manage the wireless, or a client that came with the usb device?

On the Advanced tab of the adapter properties, do you have power save mode enabled? Turn it off.

Are you using shutdown, or standby, or hibernate?

Have you visited the Linksys Knowledge Base?

Reply to
dold

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXPCXfo.usenet.us.com wrote in :

Clarence, Thanks for your well thought out list of suggestions/questions. I will investigate and let you know what (I hope) worked.

John

Reply to
John

Clarence, Here's what I have found so far in answer to your questions in order:

1) it is not recognized in device manager. 2) I don't know what the usb eject icon is. 3) I haven't tried to eject it before shut down (yet). 4) 5) Windows is managing the network (I think) as it often has something to say. 6) On hibernation when I restart, windows announces the presence of a usb device not recognized. After sleep mode (there's a button on my keyboard) windows remebers(!) after awakening. I'm presuming this is the same as standby mode.

There were no problems on the Linksys knowledge base that referred to my problem. I told them that; maybe they'll get back to me.

Are there wireless networking clients out there that might do better than Windows?

Reply to
John

Hmmm

I have a little systray icon that looks like a PCMCIA card that appears whenever I plug in a removable device. On my laptop, this is a wifi card, the CDROM drive, and various usb devices, like my DWL-122 wifi, or flash drives. This icon is enabled on the add/remove hardware page.

formatting link
(actually, I don't see how that works... I know I checked the box somewhere)

By eject, I meant using the eject icon, which you don't have, but maybe disabling it would be similar.

Do you see a little wireless network icon in the systray? Do you get to "view wireless networks"?

This sounds a lot like a mismanaged power manager.

I think there are some vendor-supplied clients that work well when WinXP doesn't. There are some adapters that work under Windows as long as you don't have the vendor client installed, and there are some that cooperate nicely, and allow you to switch back and forth.

My DLink worked well without WinXP-wireless-zero, but not so good with it. My Orinoco worked with the WinXP drivers, and wouldn't play on its own. My Netgear plays either way.

Reply to
dold

Hi, I have found a link to a windows download that may answer the problem. It is:

formatting link
The problem I described is on my Wife's computer. She doesn't mind switching the wireless adapter between ports but it bugs the hell out of me. I'll investigate and perhaps download and install the new usb driver when she's asleep (if UI dare).

John

Reply to
John

formatting link
"This problem was first corrected in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2."

I thought you already had SP2?

Reply to
dold

snipped-for-privacy@XReXXPCXfo.usenet.us.com wrote in :

Yes, sp2 is installed in both computers. BTW the article you mentioned is interesting and it seems to refer to the same downloadable file as in the other article. I can tell if this is an add-on to XP-xp2 or not. My laptop says the driver(s) in it are not as new as those that I already have. I haven't checked the drivers in my Wife's computer (which is the one with the problem).

John

Reply to
John

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.