connect 5 points via wireless APs

hi all, i need to create a small wireless lan like this

pc1 - - - pc2 - - - pc3 - - - pc4 --- pc6 i pc5

- every pc is in a different building

- every building is about 400 meters from his nearest neighbour

- i tested the various wireless links (with an AP and a usb wireless dongle, plus homebuilt antennas) and they work well (48 mbps, FTP transfer rate about 2000KBsec )

- i cant use usb dongles in the project, just APs.

THE QUESTION IS : how many AP do i need? what speed can i achieve from pc1 to pc6?

(THANKS!!) :)

Reply to
marcos
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Depends on whether a given antenna can cover more than one building.

From your diagram I'd say: pc1: USB dongle to pc2 pc2: At least two access points, client bridge to pc3, and host for pc1 and pc5 if one antenna works, otherwise separate hosts for pc1 and pc5 pc3: Host access point for pc2, and client bridge to pc4 pc4: Host access point for pc3, and client bridge to pc6 pc5: USB dongle to pc2 pc6: Master access point for pc4 and all others through pc4

If done properly, the speed of the slowest intervening link, other wireless traffic permitting.

Reply to
John Navas

thanks for fast replying :)) pc2 can cover 2 buildings (1 and 3) with one AP, by putting 2 directional antennas on it .

as told before , i can't use usb dongles in this project. Just APs. :(

in other words, wireless bridging itself does not interfere in speed, am i right?

marco

Reply to
marcos

Just out of curiosity, any cables/conduits between buildings? Did that on my ranch in idaho (house/garage/barn/guest house), had multi-conductor cables (for phone, network, intercom, cable tv etc) and electrical cables between em, just used multiple ap's, all with the same ssid, connected over 4 of the

20 conductors in the underground cable. Lets me wander around the 20 acres with my wireless notebooks and pda's.

PS, wireless bridging will interfere with the speed, wired didn't, and the bonus was having the cables underground when bad weather hit.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Are you sure? If so, then.

Sorry -- misread that. Then: pc1: Client bridge to pc2 pc2: Client bridge to pc3, and host access point for pc1 and pc5 pc3: Host access point for pc2, and client bridge to pc4 pc4: Host access point for pc3, and client bridge to pc6 pc5: Client bridge to pc2 pc6: Master access point for pc4

Right *if* there is no interference between the various legs, by means of directional antennas and/or non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11).

Reply to
John Navas

Wireless *bridging* with two access points won't interfere with speed if the two wireless legs are non-interfering, by means of directional antennas or non-overlapping channels (1, 6, 11). Perhaps you're thinking of wireless

*repeating*, which does interfere with speed.
Reply to
John Navas

john Navas replied:

so the answer is pc1: 1 AP (Client bridge to pc2) pc2: 2 (Client bridge to pc3, and host ap for pc1 and pc5) pc3: 2 (Host access point for pc2, and client bridge to pc4) pc4: 2 (Host access point for pc3, and client bridge to pc6) pc5: 1 (Client bridge to pc2) pc6: 1 (Master access point for pc4) TOTAL : 9 APs

thanks!!!

Reply to
marcos

Not necessarily. An access point isn't necessarily usable as a client bridge. You need to be sure that you can configure them as needed.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.