Cable Broadband Connection-Wireless Connection

I am seeking trying to determine if cable broadband might work for me. Right now I have Qwest DSL but the connection is not very fast. I live in an apartment and have cable TV already in the living room, so I have a cable outlet in the living room. The problem is I have a desktop computer in the master bedroom and that room does not have a cable outlet, and the cable company says they won't install an outlet in the master bedroom. I'm wondering if I can use the cable outlet in the living room, with a splitter for the TV as well, and just use wireless throughout the apartment without having any computer directly connected to the internet cable. In other words, can I use a router for wireless connected to the cable outlet in the living room and just use my computers with wireless connections, or must the computer in the living room be connected direct to the cable internet connection? I'd like to be able to make a completely wireless connection and have the benefit of the faster cable internet connection, but not if the Ethernet cable must be connected to one of the computers. I hope I am making myself clear. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
Rich
Loading thread data ...

It depends on the construction of the house. Ours is an older one with brick/load bearing walls/plaster and lathe with a metal screen, and foil backed insulation.. Sort of like living in a faraday cage..

While the cable (now fios) is only at one end of the house, we couldn't get a reliable wireless signal to the areas we wanted the laptops at, so we went with powerline networking

See an overview at

formatting link
At
formatting link
give details on their powerline wireless access point....

Basically, for about $130, for two units, one plugs into the modem or router, the other plugs into almost any electric outlet (usually on the same transformer, very rare to ever have multiple drops for one home/apartment), and transmits the signal over the powrline at 54 Mbps, to the second unit which is it's own access point.. Can be used directly off the cable/dsl modem, or in my case, I have it plugged into my linksys wireless router instead (giving me two networks)..

Beauty of it is, no cables, no wiring, just plug the stuff in, and when you move unplug it and take it with you.. However there is a bad part, it costs a bit more than just a wireless router (probably $50-$60 more)... Don't know what your economic circumstances are, but it was the best extra few bucks I ever spent.. During the nice months of the year, I just plug it in to one of the exterior ac sockets and use my PDA and laptops in the back yard.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Yes. I have a router connected to the cable modem. No computer is connected directly, except at installation time. It might not even be needed then, depending on the cable company. Mine never needed a direct connection, although it did require a phone call for setup, where a direct connection could have been self-authorizing.

Peter points to the other half of this engagement. Wireless might not cover all of your living space.

I would think "apartment" refers to a compact living space, and I would say the answer is yes, that coverage will be good.

I have good wireless coverage throughout my home and some outside areas.

Reply to
dold

On 19 Jan 2007 19:22:52 -0800, "Rich" wrote in :

If Wi-Fi wireless doesn't work, consider powerline networking, which will probably work anywhere you have power outlets.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.