recommandations for a 2nd wifi "switch"

Hi all,

I need an advice (and some explanations) as to what piece of wifi hardware I need to buy for a SOHO.

I first explain my current setup, then I explain what I want to do.

Most computers are running Unixes (Linux and Solaris) and there are also two Windows PCs (I don't think it matters).

All netmasks are 255.255.0.0.

The main office room has an ADSL router/switch (not wifi) that has the local IP 192.168.2.1. Several PCs and a network printer are using this switch/router to reach both the LAN and internet using good old cables.

In that same office room, there's also an DLINK DI-624+ "wireless router" serving some PCs that have wifi cards. The "ADSL router" part of that DLINK is however *not* used: the DLINK has IP 192.168.0.1 and tells all wifi clients connecting to him to use 192.168.2.1 as the gateway. So that DLINK "wireless router" is only used as a switch/dhcp server (telling wifi clients to use

192.168.2.1 as the real gateway) but *not* to do the ADSL connection (there isn't any cable coming into the "WAN" port of the DLINK and the "status" led is always blinking, telling that the ADSL isn't in synch).

So far, so good. I've been running with this setup since two years and everything is working fine.

At another stair, in another office room, there's a laptop PC with a wifi card. Everything is working fine, the wifi transmission speed/connection/etc. is excellent.

However I need to add PCs (without wifi) and another network printer (without wifi) in that office room. I need the network printer to be reachable from everywhere and I need the new PCs in that room to be able to access the LAN and the internet.

So I need a "thing" with an antenna and RJ45 ports (to hook the non-wifi PCs and the network printer) that can "talk" with the DLINK at 192.168.0.1 so traffic can pass from this "thing" through the DLINK at

192.168.0.1 then through the non-wifi switch at 192.168.2.1 then on the big bad internet.

To resume:

New PCs (not wifi) + network printer (not wifi) (new office room at

1st floor) | | "thing" (new office room at 1st floor) | | DLINK DI 624+ at 192.168.0.1 (main office room at 2nd floor) | | non-wifi adsl switch/router at 192.168.2.1 (main office room at 2nd floor) | | Internet

Problem is: I've got no idea as to how such a thing is called nor how it needs to be configured.

(well, actually I know how to solve my problem using cables but, in this case... cables are part of the problem: I want a wifi connection between the two stairs).

What kind of wifi hardware should I buy to do this and how should I configure it?

Would this thing have an IP?

Is there any configuration to change on the old DLINK DI 624+ ?

Is there any configuration to change on the non-wifi adsl switch/router? (I suppose not but I'm not sure)

Would you have any recommandations for something reasonnably cheap that would do the job? (just like my old adsl switch/router and that DLINK DI 624+ did the job since two years) ?

Note that as long as it works and isn't too expensive I'm fine. I don't care, for example, if you recommend some ADSL/switch/router whose ADSL functionnality were not to be used (for that's exactly how I'm using my DLINK DI-624+ since years).

Thanks in advance for any informations, I'm a bit lost,

Driss

Reply to
neuneudr
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.fr hath wroth:

In general, what you want is called a "workgroup bridge". Cisco and

3com make these. They are usually limited to 4/8/16 wired connections that will bridge to your access point. Basically, a wireless extension for your switch. 3com 3CRWE83096A (obsolete) 3CRWE675075

Cisco |

formatting link

Workgroup bridge.

Yes, but it would only be used to administer and managed the device. Bridges are Layer 2 devices (MAC layer) and don't know anything about IP addresess.

No. However, there is a potential compatibility issue. The ability to simulate multiple connections from a single wireless link may be a problem. If possible, try before you buy.

No.

I would not run your network that way you have it setup. You have what is called "double NAT" where there are two routers, each of which supplies NAT IP addresses to the LAN side. I suggest you consider reconfiguring the DI-624 into an access point. That will allow all your clients to run on one class C subnet (192.168.2.xxx). In addition, you could change your netmask to 255.255.255.0. To setup as an access point.

1. Change the DI-624 IP address to 192.168.2.something that does not conflict with already used IP addresses.
  2. Disable the DHCP server.
  3. Do not plug anything into the WAN port.
  4. Connect the CAT5 cable from the unspecified main router LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the DI-624. You may need a cross over ethernet cable.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

formatting link

Sorry. I forgot you wanted cheap. Linksys WET11 or WET54G will also act as a "workgroup bridge", although they don't call it that. However, be careful with devices claiming to be a "bridge". Many of them will only bridge exactly one MAC addresses. That won't work with more than one machine behind the wireless bridge. Unfortunately, the manufactories do not disclose how many MAC addresses they will bridge. Some "game adapters" might work, but again there's no indication of how many MAC addresses they'll pass.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi,

thanks a lot for your explanations, I'll carefully read that and do some more research (and ask more questions :)

I see what you mean about moving everything to a class C subnet.

But you said I should connect the CAT5 cable from the main router LAN port to one of the LAN port on the DI-624.

However, there's already such a connection established: the non-wifi router has four RJ45 port (so does the DLink DI-624) and there's an CAT5 cable going from one to the other.

By checking the cables (one minute ago), I realized that the setup was even a little bit more "complicated" than that.

I've got:

telephone line | | Alcatel "Speedtouch" ADSL "modem" establishing the ADSL sync | | Sweex router (piece of 25 Euros crap, but it does the job ;) | (so that Sweex router just does the "PPPoE" thinggy) | | from one of the four RJ45 port of the Sweex "router" | to one of the four RJ45 port of the DI-624+ | | DI-DLink 624+

I probably could just throw the Alcatel Speedtouch and the Sweex away and hook a plain-old switch to the Dlink (I've got some spare parts lying around).

Thanks again, I'll go re-reading all you wrote a few times :)

Driss

Reply to
neuneudr

formatting link
>

Well, preferably cheap... If something cheap does the job I'd rather go for it :)

I see my local computer parts dealer proposes the WET54G.

I didn't understand everything, so I've got more questions :)

A "real" workgroup bridge can bridge more than one MAC address?

Does the WET-54G act as real "workgroup bridge" (ie it will bridge more than one MAC address)?

If I want to "bridge" two wifi switches, only one of them need to be able to act as a workgroup bridge?

Thanks a lot for your informations once again,

Driss

Reply to
neuneudr

replying to myself...

I did a temporary kludge using spare parts lying around to workaround my problem: I realized I could add a wifi card in one Linux PC in (and used ndiswrapper around Windows drivers) the new office room (1st floor) in addition to the regular ethernet card in that PC.

Then I put a switch in that 2nd office room, then configured the Linux PC to do SNAT for the other PCs in that room (so they can access the internet).

I still could do DNAT for the network printer (so the PCs wanting to print from the 2nd floor on the first floor printer can reach the printer, but it's not mandatory as there's already an network printer on the 2nd floor). No hack is needed for the PCs in the same room as they're on the same switch as the printer.

Of course this means that the Linux PC has to be turned on when someone's in the room (but it's not a big problem).

I'll just use it that way until I get a "real" wifi workgroup bridge set up.

Reply to
neuneudr

Just something I found... At the Local Wal-Mart they have WRT54G's for $43.95.. I picked up a few of them (turn off the DH server and wap part), and then daisy chain output from one to the WAP input of the next.... Get three outputs from each (minus one of the 4 for daiy chaining), and can access stuff on the network both wired and wirelessly, and when I got a wild hair up my ... I just turned on the wap part of one, and gave it a unique ssid (could have been the same SSID and same channel, but I wanted a public wireless (open for guests) and a private with WPA wireless).... Not sure why you couldn't just do the same thing (maybe you could), after all The WRT is a Wap and Router in one box, and the price was certainly right.

Course there is one important piece of info.... The directions say to NEVER do that (output of one to the WAN input of the next)... This is one of those times to ignore the directions (similar to jeffs learn by destroying.. I learn by doing what I'm told not to:).

Reply to
Peter Pan

No problem. Cheap works well for non-critical applications.

Yes.

Yes.

No. A workgroup bridge is effectively a fancy client radio. It really can't handle too many MAC addresses. Most of the bottom of the line bridges will to no more then 32 MAC addresses. I'm fairly sure the WET11 his 32 MAC's max. No clue on the WET54G.

For point to point bridging between two networks, you want a "wireless bridge" or "transparent bridge", which by definition will pass more than one MAC address. Basically, you need as many MAC addresses passed as you have devices on both ends of the bridge.

See: |

formatting link
my attempt at clearing up the bridge definition mess. No clue if I got it totally correct.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Note that you have 2 routers in series for double NAT. My guess is you have something like this:

Alcatel "Speedtouch" ADSL "modem" establishing the ADSL sync | | [routeable IP address] | WAN Sweex ROUTER 192.168.2.1 | | WAN 192.168.2.2 DLink DI-624+ ROUTER 192.168.0.1 | 192.168.0.2-254

I can't figure out where you placed the switches. What I'm suggesting is that you disarm the 2nd DI-624 and use it as an access point. The result will be:

Alcatel "Speedtouch" ADSL "modem" establishing the ADSL sync | | [routeable IP address] | WAN Sweex ROUTER LAN 192.168.2.1 | | LAN 192.168.2.2 DLink DI-624+ As Access point | 192.168.2.3-254

Yep, that's another way to do it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.