Problems with DSL and DNS

Hi everybody,

Recently I spent several hours with Cisco engineers helping me to setup my DSL connection. I have 871 router and Speedstream 5100 DSL modem.

Initially we tried to set it up the "regular way" so the modem handles PPPoE and all that stuff. Just like my old NetGear router which always worked. No matter what, we could not get it to work. The router was not able to obtain address from my ISP through DHCP. At the same time plugged directly to my PC always worked. I also always worked with my old router. But not with Cisco - surprise.

Finally I called my ISP (Ameritech, previously SBC Chicago) and they told me that there was a known problem with Cisco routers and I had a better chance switching it to the bridge mode. So we did. After another 4 hours, another Cisco engineer managed to set it up, removed all other settings, firewall, left the console accessible from the Internet and closed the case. I am a Cisco newbie and all I want is the functionality I had with my old simple router I could set up in 15 min. I managed to reinstall the firewall with the SDM.

However, my DSL connection still does not work quite well. Whenever it goes down the router looses DNS settings and I usually have to restart it.

Is there any way to fix it? Here are my settings. Is there anything wrong with them? Am I missing something?

Please advise.

Tomasz

interface FastEthernet4 description $ES_WAN$$FW_OUTSIDE$$ETH-WAN$ no ip address no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip nat outside no ip virtual-reassembly ip route-cache flow duplex auto speed auto pppoe enable pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1 no cdp enable ! interface Dialer0 description $FW_OUTSIDE$ mtu 1492 ip ddns update sdm_ddns1 ip address negotiated ip access-group 102 in no ip redirects no ip unreachables no ip proxy-arp ip inspect SDM_MEDIUM out ip nat outside ip virtual-reassembly encapsulation ppp ip route-cache flow dialer pool 1 no cdp enable ppp pap sent-username @sbcglobal.net password 7 ppp ipcp dns request accept !

Reply to
thomas
Loading thread data ...

Hi,

I don't know if this will assist however Cisco appear to have put a lot of new confguration examples on CCO.

formatting link
As to your particular config I am not familiar with using a dialer over Ethernet and I am not exactly sure what it means.

Please post the whole config and I can have a look.

Reply to
Bod43

formatting link

The link that I have posted will be of limited value since all the examples are for DSL interfaces. Sorry.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.