DSL modem question

I'm in between ISPs right now. (I had been using Earthlink DSL, and on Oct. 26 I will be with Cavalier DSL.)

I'm running Windows 98 SE. In order to go online with Earthlink, I needed to run WrDialer.exe (WinPoET Dialer) first.

I received my modem the other day from Cavalier. It comes with directions on how to configure various settings (specifying an address, configuring primary and secondary DNS, etc.)

I noticed there wasn't anything mentioned along the lines of PPP over Ethernet. Frankly, I never really understood this concept completely; I had always thought that broadband connections were "always on." Is it perhaps a function of Earthlink having assigned me dynamic IP addresses (while Cavalier will be assigining me a static one)?

Also, does it matter which modem I use? For the last five years, I've used a Speedstream 5360 modem. The one that was just shipped is a Zhone 6381. Is it superior (Cavalier didn't ship the specs for it!)

Reply to
Daave
Loading thread data ...

I agree with Evan. Start here for the Zhone modem docs:

formatting link
You can probably talk to it via your browser at

192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.0

lee

Reply to
lee houston

DSL is a bit different than cable. Authorization is done through a PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) login. Some older DSL modems are little more than an adapter and the computer or router have to perform the login. Many newer DSL modems can do the PPP login internally, so it tends to act alot like cable modems (authorization is done through the modem's HFMAC address.)

Reply to
Andrew Rossmann

Daave schrieb:

I am going by

formatting link
, as mentioned by Lee Houston.

Your new "modem" operates as a "bridge", i.e. it bridges the PPPoE connection to a LAN connection. Your old modem probably didn't do this.

Yes, it is superior. It can do ADSL2+, whic is capable of connecting at up to 24 MBit/s if you're not too far from the other end, and if your provider offers it. My new DSL service runs at 16 Mbit/s, thanks to ADSL2+.

-mendel

Reply to
Michael Mendelsohn

Thanks to Evan, lee, Andrew, and Michael for your answers. This is my first day with Cavtel DSL. Hopefully, I'll be a happy camper with them. :-)

Reply to
Daave

Really? Mine doesn't use PPPoE at all.

--

formatting link

Reply to
ellis

Most DSL setups work via PPPoE. But there's nothing technically that requires them to do it. It just meshes well with the prior dial up networks most phone companies had before DSL arrived.

Reply to
DLR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.