NTL STB broadband and ADSL Router

Hi.

I've read through many posts but unfortunately none fully answer my question.

Here is the situation.

I currently have broadband internet from NTL via the STB. A friend was kind enough to buy me a Netgear DG834GT ADSL router for christmas so that I can have the internet connection wireless from the STB in the living room to my PC in the backroom.

On reading posts from others it appears that I do not have the ideal router due to the STB being my modem. Furthermore, my friend does not have the receipt to change the router.

In essence my question is whether or not there is a way round buying a new router or changing my internet connection?

I have tried plugging the RJ11 plug into the RJ45 socket on the STB, also plugging the STB direct to one of the switch ports all to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Reply to
cmperry79
Loading thread data ...

this isnt really a wireless Q

the only interfaces on the NTL set top boxes are Ethernet and USB (and Ethernet is by far the most reliable way to connect) these are not compatible with the ADSL WAN interface on your router.

talk to the supplier and see if they will swap it for an equivalent box with an Ethernet WAN port - i have a WGR614 on my NTL connection.

maybe you have other proof of purchase, such as a credit card receipt?

you could always ditch the NTL cable and go for ADSL - but the change in subscription probably costs more than a router.....

Reply to
stephen

You might be able to get away with it if you can configure the Netgear as just an access point. If you can choose that option then plug the NTL STB into one of the LAN ports NOT the RJ11 WAN port. Turn off DHCP on the router too as you'll get it from NTL.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

It is if he can just set the netgear up to work in access point mode :)

Unless like me, the max he can get from ADSL is a paltry 512kbps. I don't want to ditch my 10Mbps NTL for that thanks!

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Problem here is that AFAIK the NTL subscription will only give you 1 IP address at a time, and only support a single MAC address (although you can have several MACs registered, you can only use 1 at once)

so - if you want to share the connection, you need a router to limit the number of devices visible to the NTL service.

Reply to
stephen

Unless you also subscribe to Xbox live service. Or something like that gets you another.

True but he didn't say he did. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

You need a router ONLY and not an ADSL router. Look for ones with cable/lan router on the advertising. Best option is to take it back and try a swap, receipt or not...

Plug the STB into the WAN socket on the new router. Remember to configure the WPA security and it'll all work fine.

Reply to
Doz

Thanks for all the info. I'm working away from home at the moment. I'll try these options when i get the chance and report back.

Reply to
cmperry79

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.