Wireless Internet and Hardware Router

I am setting up a company apartment in Philadelphia. One of my duties is to set up a laptop with internet for our corporate guests.

Philadelphia now has city wide wireless internet. Can I use a Linksys broadband router to serve the internet to the laptop? It seems like a dumb question, but until now I have always had wired internet to share wirelessly. Can I set up a secure network to share the wireless internet

I can access directly now, but I'd rather have a router between the laptop and the city.

I have a Linksys WRT54GX2

"The Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX200 is really three devices in one box. First, there's the Wireless Access Point, which lets you connect Wireless-G, Wireless-B, and other performance-enhanced SRX devices to the network. There's also a built-in 4-port full-duplex

10/100 Switch to connect your wired-Ethernet devices together. Finally, the Router function ties it all together and lets your whole network share a high-speed cable or DSL Internet connection.

The Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX200 combines smart antenna technology with standards-based Wireless-G (802.11g) networking. By overlaying the signals of two Wireless-G compatible radios, the "Multiple In, Multiple Out" (MIMO) technology effectively doubles the data rate. Unlike ordinary wireless networking technologies that are confused by signal reflections, MIMO actually uses these reflections to increase the range and reduce "dead spots" in the wireless coverage area. The robust signal travels farther, maintaining wireless connections up to twice as far as standard Wireless-G. And the farther away you are, the more advantage you get--the higher data rate and reflection-friendly technology can yield up to 6 times more throughput than Wireless-G in some situations. The router avoids interference by dynamically switching to the clearest channel available. Even your standard Wireless-G and -B equipment will work better when communicating with SRX-enabled devices.

To help protect your data and privacy, the Router can encode all wireless transmissions with industrial-strength WPA2 encryption. It can serve as your network's DHCP Server, has a powerful SPI firewall to protect your PCs against intruders and most known Internet attacks, and supports VPN pass-through. Configuration is a snap with the web browser-based configuration utility."

I am hoping the range boosting feature will serve the Philly-WAN to my computer.

Thoughts?

Reply to
General Specific
Loading thread data ...

All the wireless routers that I know about have the same ability above. They have WAP, and Ethernet, and can be configure to just be a WAP/Ethernet switch too.

If this is not some kind of sales pitch, then you can go to alt.internte.wireless. :)

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

No sales pitch.

So, I'm good to go?

Like I said, I know it's a dumb question, but I've only ever used a wireless router to go from wired WAN to Ethernet. I wasn't sure I could go from wireless WAN to Ethernet.

Reply to
General Specific

I am not sure either. But if think that wireless NAT router is going to pick-up some kind of wireless signal from a wireless ISP and allow you to share that wireless ISP connection with computers wired or wireless connected to the router, then I don't think so. After looking at the product sheet, the router looks to be no more than a router that takes a cable connection from a ISP that's cable DSL or Broadband, connected to a modem with a RJ45 cable connection from the modem to the RJ45 WAN/Internet facing port -- meaning it's a cable router or router that needs a cable connection from the ISP.

I guess if you wanted to use the wireless ISP, then you need a computer with a wireless NIC to pick up the signal the Internet facing NIC, a wire NIC in the computer the LAN facing NIC, and plug the RJ45 cable from the wire NIC into the RJ45 WAN port of the router and you're good to go, with using ICS on the Windows O/S on the gateway machine.

I'll assume that's what you're wanting to do and I don't think the router is going to do it the way you think you want it to do it.

I could be wrong about your intent with the router.

There maybe someone who knows more than I about this and how to pick the the signal from a wireless ISP.

alt.Internet.wireless is a NG you can post to about your questions.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

What you want to do here is essentially install the router backwards, IOW, NAT from the wired cloud out the wireless interface. I don't know if the unit supports this, my guess is it doesn't. It could though, you'd have to see. Devices like NetScreens and Fortigates let you NAT and/or route in any direction you want but a lot of the lower end devices are set up to do certain things and then let you configure options about those things from there.

I'd check with the service provider they probably have a regular issue border device that you can hang on the untrust side of your garden variety router. Or buy some more significant firewall to hang behind your wireless and use it strictly as a WAP in your untrust zone rather than a routing device.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.