Wireless connection to broadband for pc

Could someone please advise me about buying some equipment. I currently subscribe to TalkTalk=92s broadband service, and my desktop pc is connected via a cable from the phone socket to the TalkTalk broadband modem. I would like my partner to be able to connect to the Internet at the same time from her laptop (which we yet have to buy), but via a wireless connection. What sort of kit and software do we need to get? Would it be a wireless router? TIA

Reply to
JP
Loading thread data ...

Replace the TalkTalk ADSL modem with a ADSL-capable wifi router. The router connects to the phone line, and the desktop machine connects to the router. The laptop connects wirelessly to the router and shares the same ADSL connection.

You'd need to get TalkTalk to give you the appropriate configuration details you would need for the router to know how to connect to your ADSL service, eg. account name, password, and so on.

Reply to
Keith

That sounds reasonably straighforward - many thanks.

Reply to
JP

No. Do not do that. Get a standalone DSL modem and a separate router. Most of the combo units suck. That and WHEN the DSL modem gets fried you won't have to reconfigure your router all over again.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

The OP already has the DSL modem. What he needs to do is purchase a Wireless Access Point (WAP) such as made by Linksys, D-Link, and others. These devices contain a router, an ethernet switch with (usually) 4 ports, and the wireless section. The price ranges from $45 up. The router section has a Wide-Area Network (WAN) port that is connected to the modem. Your wired computer would connect to one of the Local-Area Network (LAN) ports, and your partner's computer could be either wireless or connect to another of the LAN ports.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

Almost right. A WAP is not a wireless router. Larry is correct that home wireless routers typically include a WAP (which he called the wireless section), a router, and an ethernet switch.

A WAP is only the "wireless section," and doesn't include the other two functions.

Otherwise, *if* the connection between the OP's TalkTalk modem is through an Ethernet cable (plug looks like a slightly larger telephone plug), *then* the OP should buy a home wireless router. On the other hand, if the TalkTalk modem is connected to the computer with a USB cable, then the OP will either have to buy a new DSL modem (which is compatible with TalkTalk and has an Ethernet output) plus a wireless router, OR a "wireless DSL gateway device" (combo DSL modem/wireless router), as long as the DSL modem part is compatible with TalkTalk.

I agree with Larry that separate DSL modem and router are better to have, even if they may cost more to buy initially.

Reply to
Lem

Except it wasn't Larry making that point.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

No, that's WRONG.

He'd indeed want a router, but not just a Wireless Access Point. Most WAPs are relatively dumb devices and do not have routing capablities. They would not be a suitable replacement for the situation being discussed.

If the talktalk device connects to the PC via ethernet then it's possible a wifi router would work with it. But, as has been suggested, it connects via USB then it'd need to be replaced.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

I'm trying to make sense of the various differing views (for which I'm very grateful), so I looked up WAP and found the following description: "Home wireless networks, the majority, generally have only one WAP to connect all the computers in a home. Most are wireless routers, meaning converged devices that include a WAP, Ethernet router, and often a switch in the same package." So I understand from this that it depends on which brand I buy as to what functionality I will get. Since I have yet to buy the laptop, I guess I should buy the network kit from the same source (probably Dell, as my current desktop is from them), but at least I will now be able to understand (and maybe challenge) whatever they propose. Many thanks once again to all who have given advice. BTW, the connection is an Ethernet one, so I guess I can keep my (A?)DSL modem.

Reply to
JP

It's simple. Generally, you want a router between your internal network and your internet connection. This to act as a firewall between your network and the rest of the world. And if you have more than one wired ethernet device you generally want a switch to handle the traffic. If you want to add wireless devices to the network you need something listening for them. These 3 functions can generally be found in the typical small office/home office (soho) situation. Devices like the Linksys WRT54G come to mind.

If you already had a router and didn't want to change it you could add just a wireless access point (WAP). Or if you wanted to provide coverage at the far end of the house, you could pull wire to that area and set up just a WAP. But even if you already have a router it may be convenient to replace it with one that has WiFi built into it.

No, this is incorrect. Much like buying a product from GM, you could get a truck, car or a van. It's not about brand, it's about the model. Some brands are better than others, but then some of the better brands have made crappy models.

Much like the above auto example that may be a bad idea. You'll just end up paying extra for something you could buy elsewhere yourself. But check and see, it's possible Dell is bundling someone else's WiFi router at a good price.

Quite probably. Your next question should be directed to your ISP. Ask them what the instructions are on rearranging your existing setup with one using a WiFi router. Most support doing this. The process is relatively straightforward. You'll have to possess some info from the ISP regarding the type of connection (PPPoE, static, DHCP) and IP addresses for gateway and DNS. Once you've got that it should be possible to put that info into your new router and be up and running WELL inside of an hour.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

chances are its a USB one tho.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Yes, its confusing isn't it!

Two possible ways to go

1) if your existing modem has a ETHERNET socket on it, you need standard wireless router.

2) if your existing modem is USB-only, you need a standard wireless router AND a new modem that is ethernet capable.

Instead of (2) you can buy a combi unit that is both modem and router. These are often sold as "ADSL routers". If you take this route then when one part dies you will have to replace the entire thing.

Read this page for more info

formatting link

You probably will pay over the odds for probably poorer equipment if you do that.

Excellent - then you need a cable-ready or cable/dsl router. Something like this

formatting link
though please note I'm not recommending you get this one, merely showing an example.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Hi Bill, thanks very much for spending the time to explain this to a novice. I think I've got it now, ie the Linksys WRT54G device is a wireless router, and that another device that could do the same job would be for example the D-Link DIR-615 Wireless N Home Router

formatting link
I understand that my configuration would be that the wireless router would be connected (a) to my ADSL modem, via the Ethernet cable, (b) to my desktop, also via an Ethernet cable (or would that be a USB cable?), and (c) to the laptop (which needs to have a WiFi adaptor card) via a wireless link. Is that right?

Reply to
JP

Much like Ford vs Chevy, everyone's got their favorite router brands. Personally I've had equal trouble with both D-Link and Linksys so I can't say one brand overall is better or worse.

My advice would be to look up the potential candidates on the Amazon and Newegg.com websites and look at the customer reviews. They tend to be reasonably accurate.

Yep, modem to router via wired ethernet (via the router's WAN port). PC to router via wired ethernet into one of the router's LAN ports Laptop to the router via WiFi.

If your laptop doesn't already have WiFi built into it then look into that option. Some (but not all) laptops have the ability to install a mini-PCI card internally. That means not having anything sticking out of the laptop. This is better since no protrusions means less to get broken off. But if internal is not an option my next choice would be a PCMCIA or ExpressCard as the slot for them is usually a bit more durable than USB. That would be my last choice, USB. The connector locations on most laptops never ends up being very convenient and, with time, the socket fails. That and the software removing/reinserting dance you have to go through to get the laptop stuffed in a carrying case is also a problem.

Good luck, it looks like you're well on your way to make it work.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.