Changing the IP Address of Router

I have a DSL modem (Westell model 6100 from Verizon) connected via USB to a desktop PC. I bought a Linksys Wireless-N router (model WRT300N) so I can share the internet connection with another desktop PC in a downstairs room. I used an ethernet cable to connect the router to the modem. With the primary PC on I powered up the modem, then the router. Because the primary PC is connected to the modem I was able to access the internet but even though I was getting a signal on the second PC I was unable to connect to the internet. Plus if I rebooted the primary PC the USB connection to the modem is dropped. Rebooting without the router connected to the modem does not effect the the USB connection. The extent of my technical knowledge is I know enough to get myself in trouble, so after about 6 hours of troubleshooting I stumbled on the fact that both the modem and router are trying to use the same IP address. Will changing the IP address on either the modem or the router fix my problem? If so, how do I do that?

Reply to
FDL-nj
Loading thread data ...

Hi, Did you read the manual which came with the router? Router has WAN port which connects to modem, all PCs connect to LAN ports or via wireless. So how can you connect a PC and router to modem?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Did you try the help facility on the Verizon web site? They have a complete how-to tutorial:

formatting link

Reply to
Seth Goodman

My advise here would be to get a modem that uses the RJ45 jack connection and dump the USB. You take a regular networking cable that uses the RJ45 plug and plug one end into the modem that uses RJ45 and the other end into the RJ45 WAN port on the router.

You then use a regular Ethernet Networking Interface Card with a RJ45 connection in the desktop computer and take a networking cable like the one up above and plug it into the LAN port on the router.

If possible, you should put all of your computers behind the protection of the router. The router protects them from attacks from the Internet. That's what the router is for and not the computer, which is to protect the LAN-Local Area Network from attacks from the Internet.

formatting link
You might want to look into the wireless security for the home too and apply where possible.

formatting link
If the router has a syslog and Wallwatcher can be implemented, then you should use WW and watch traffic to and from the router for possible connections from machines behind to dubious remoter IP(s) on the Internet.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

The Westell 6100 can use either Ethernet or USB

II am really not seeing the problem though.

Use the dhcp server that is already setup and ready to go in the Westell and plug the cable from the westell into a switch and plug your computer into the switch

+---------+ +--------------+ +----------+ | westell || hub/switch |----->| Computer | +---------+ +--------------+ +----------+

the westell is setup to start serving ip from the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.50

That is if one uses Ethernet. Who know how their usb stuff works. Looking at my Westell it appears that if you use the Westell with usb and a router it would require 2 IP's to work.

Come to thing about it if he is working with a router that supported PPOE (and the WRT300N does) he could just put the Westell into bridging mode (actually very easy to do) and setup his router to do the work.

+-----------+ +----------+ +----------+ | westell || Router |----->| Computer | |in bridging| +----------+ +----------+ | mode | +-----------+

You take a regular networking cable that

Reply to
David

Er, sounds to me like your modem has two sockets, USB and Ethernet. In my experience modems won't accept a connection on both simultaneously.

myself in

Probably. Your solution is to connect the modem to the routers WAN port, and both PCs to the router. Thats the purpose of a router.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

The cable modem that I have supports both USB connections at the same time, but the package I subscribe to with my ISP only allows one computer connected at a time. You probably need to abandon the USB connection to the computer, and use an ethernet connection to the router. Then the modem/ISP only sees one device connected to the internet.

If your PC only has a USB port and no ethernet port, you will have to buy an adapter. A wired PCI adapter can be purchased for $10-20. Or you could buy a USB-wired_ethernet, or a USB-WiFi adapter (in order of my preference).

When you turn off the PC, are you able to connect via the router to the internet? If not, then you might need to set up PPoE login on the new router. How did you connect the modem to the internet originally? Most DSL is PPoE. Some of it is handled in the modem, whcih should still work for the router, just as it did for the PC. Some of it is handled by the PC, which you now have to substitute into the modem or router, and disable in the PC.

formatting link
shows an example of PPoE in the modem.

Reply to
dold

Thanks to everyone who replied... seems like I was overthinking the setup because I didn't want to mess up the connection I already had between the primary PC and the modem... So if I unplug the USB connection and use an ethernet cable from the router to the primary PC that will eliminate the conflicting IP addresses?

Mark Mc>> I have a DSL modem (Westell model 6100 from Verizon) connected via USB to

Reply to
FDL-nj via HWKB.com

The bottom line here is get the computers behind the router and not have the router behind a machine. The router is the gateway to the Internet and the computer should not be the gateway to the Internet, with the router behind the computer in a network situation, when there is a router sitting there. You should do the right thing.

The router will get the IP from the modem and all machines connected to the router will get a DHCP IP from the router. That's the way it should happen.

Duane :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

Yes. What "Mr. Arnold" (Duane said). Once you get the interconnection architecture right, you've got a fighting chance of working everything else out. There's a free series of movies here:

formatting link
intended to help you visualize and understand that subject. Scroll down in the largest window until you see this title:

Episode 10 Segment 1 NAT Routers Part 2: Connecting 2 or more PCs to the Internet through a single Internet Address

I hope this helps!

Bob Bosen

formatting link
Computer Networking and Internetworking Made Easy thru Multimedia

Reply to
Bob Bosen

The Westell 6100 only supports the usb or the Ethernet connection not both at the same time.

The Westell 6100 supports PPOE on there web based setup page as well as DHCP, but there is only one Ethernet port. Like I originally said he should connect his modem to a switch and than connect his machine to the switch. Or if he want wireless and has a wireless router/switch he could just put the Westell into bridging mode and have his router/switch handle the PPoE and DHCP assignments.

There is really no reason that this should of ever been so hard, or this complicated to do!

Some of it is handled in the modem, whcih should still work

Reply to
David

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.