Netgear WGR614 v6 manual set up help needed.

Netgear WGR614 v6 manual set up help needed. I need help to setup a Netgear WGR614 v6 for a wireless network. I have a cable connection and want to share it with Macs and PCs with a wireless network. I set it up by connecting it to my modem then testing it with 2 cat5 cables attached to two LAN Macs and 2 Powerbooks with their airports on. I can get the 2 Powerbooks to connect to each other and other wifi nets but not the router. I wasnt able to connect to any of the computers. The software that came with the unit is for PC and I wont be able to get my PC back for 2 weeks. I would like to have this little network up by then. I called Netgear and they wanted $30.00 to help me set it up manually for a Mac. I have currently use a wired broad band router and I didnt need any set up program. Didnt know you needed one. I am sure it is a simple operator error. ANy help would be appreciated.

Happy holidays..Peace

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

My cable modem only accepts one "device". In order to change that device, in some cable systems, you need to turn off the cable modem and router for 10 minutes, then turn on the cable modem. When it is completely ready (same set of lights you normally have, maybe

1-2 minutes time), then turn on the router.

If that doesn't fix it, you may need to "clone" the address that it is set to accept into the router. I could detail those steps if powering everything off doesn't do the trick.

Reply to
dold

What device was connected to the cable modem before? The cable modem or the cable modem ISP equipment is probably configured to accept only that MAC address.

http://192.168.0.1 in any browser should gain access to the default setup screens of the Netgear. You don't need the CDROM program.

The default username is admin, and the default password is password. You want to change that, and some wireless security setups, but that's another topic. At the bottom of the opening screen, you should see "Router MAC address". If the computer you are using was able to connect to the internet directly through the modem before you installed the router, then "Use Computer MAC address" should let the router substitute for that computer, as far as the cable modem is concerned.

Otherwise you need to determine what MAC address was configured into the cable modem previously. Cloning the MAC address seems to work on any cable modem system. Unplugging the power to the cable modem off for 10 minutes so that it looks for a new MAC address on the next power cycle works on some systems, but not on my Mediacom system.

Reply to
dold

Hi, Ping command is useful to check things out step by step.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I find that you will find people who not only charge you 30 bucks (here in Australia its $40) for "help" but people you know you can trust: ie you won't be forking out anuvva $40 next week or tomorrow! I am sorry, but i am not that knowledgable about Netgear products; I've looked into it briefly, but when I got hit up for $40 just to be told that its incompatable with linux/mac by some idiot who had to go and ask his supervisor what the SC-101 storage central unit (by NetGear) is AFTER he had charged me (!) however I am using the 614 router and like you I am out to learn - basically, I am warning you against (A) paying them "helpdesk" money and (B) purchasing anything other than networking products from them. (The sc101 is the only external hdd I know of, and a lot of people are not impressed. I swapped it for a M????? product (forgot the name but it serves file to your Mac, and supports vista, which NetGear won't till mid '07 - their words, can't even give me a month!).

Alors, I 'ope your problem is solved - I have my own problem, to follow shortly.... HAV

9600 wrote:
Reply to
Dwiz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.