Netgear WGR614 and Comcast

I replaced my older "b" wireless Netgear router with a new WGR614 when it began to become very slow when connected wirelessly. After numerous hours attempting to get the new router working I need help! I have followed the Netgear directions and suggestions from different posts here without luck. I have a Comcast cable/phone modem that the router connects to. I know about resetting the Comcast modem etc. I am able to ping the router when it is not connected to Comcast fine. It definitely is a problem with the connection from the WGR614 and the Comcast. The PC works fine when connected directly to Comcast. The older Netgear was up and running in 10 minutes on installation so I don't know what could be wrong unless the WGR614 is DOA. Any suggestions? Should I use a static IP?

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Patriot5
Loading thread data ...

Which suggestions did you try and which ones did not work. I really don't like repeating the suggestions over and over.

Does it have a manufacturer and model number?

I've had problems with some of the 6 different hardware versions of the WGR614 (check your serial number tag). In most cases, the solution was to update the router firmware. Start here:

and make absolutely sure you install the firmware that matches your unspecified hardware version.

You didn't mention what happened when you plugged your unspecified model PC directly into the router via a CAT5 cable (i.e. no wireless). Did it work? Did it work fast?

It's also possible there's something odd about your wireless client. Ping isn't really good enough for testing.

If your unspecified model Comcast cable modem happens to be the VoIP Arris version, it has a few nasty habits, one of which is to save the MAC address of the connecting device even though you stomped on the reset button. If you have an Arris cable modem, remove the bottom cover, unplug the battery for about 15 seconds, replace battery, replace cover, wait until it reboots, and try again.

It's also possible that you have a bad CAT5 cable between the Netgear and the cable modem. The cables supplied by Comcast appeared to me a bit marginal, but I've had no failures. Still, it would useful to replace the cable.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Same thing I did at one point. I now have a Netgear WGR614v4.

I think not. The suggestion that you can switch to a PC directly plugged in does not sound consistent with the method for switching between a working router and a working PC.

And then when you connect it to Comcast it doesn't respond to ping? If you start a ping -t router and have that returning replies, and connect the cable, the replies stop?

How do you make the switch from non-working router to working PC and back?

How did you do that installation? did you clone a MAC address?

That could be. It may be locking up while trying to get a WAN IP Address that it isn't getting. I recall that from some routers long ago. It was a firmware issue. That was too long ago to apply to a new WGR614, but you should probably update firmware anyway. That would then let you ping the router, but you it won't fix the ability of the router to get to the internet.

No.

Reply to
dold

Well, after trying many of the suggestions posted here I decided I probably had a DOA router and bought another of the same model and version (v7). I was able to get my laptop working wirelessly with the new router, but now I can not get the Dell Dimension PC to work with the Netgear router. The PC works fine when directly connected to the Comcast Arris cable modem via Ethernet Cat5 and the Netgear totally out of the equation. I spoke with India (I mean Netgear, boy is that annoying) for 2+ hours and he had me disconnect the Netgear and plug in directly to the Comcast from the Dell and then move the CAT5 back to the Netgear and then plug the Netgear back into the Comcast. For some reason this worked. I was able to have both the laptop running wirelessly and the PC connected to the LAN port on the Netgear......for only about 10 minutes max at a time!! Any ideas on how to fix this issue? Atleast I have the wireless running which works best for our family, but I really would like full functionality. Netgear/India told me to call Comcast as it is their problem, but I don't see how that could be since the wireless connection comes from Comcast to the Netgear. Any help would be appreciated once again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Patriot5

What IP addresses do you have on the laptop and the PC when they are working?

It sounds like the router is not a router, but a switch. Where is the cable from the modem to the router plugged in to the router?

What settings have you made in the router?

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.