dial-up connection keeps popping up when I have a Cable connection?

Have a firewall/anti* thing? Some don't let things change network setting.. Changes are kept in memory/temp not on disk/perm.. A reboot and the memory is gone (sort of like a stroke)

Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

I connect to the Internet with Comcast cable Modem. Always On! I have set up a Wireless network on my two computers at home. One is a desktop, the other a laptop. The desktop is wired to the Netgear WGR614, the laptop connected with the Netgear WG511 PC Card. These seemed to work good. I then set up File & Printer Sharing between the two computers. That works good. But, since I set up Sharing between the computers, the Windows Dial-up connect box pops up. Each time I go into the connection settings and choose to "Never dial a connection" but it will not stick. It keeps changing back to "Dial whenever a network connection is not present". This is getting aggravating. Any idea why this has started happening? Any idea how to fix this? Thanks, John

Reply to
L'l John

First off, what version of Windows do you have? NT/98/Me/2K/XP? I'm far from a Windows expert, but have you gone through the Internet connection wizard setup to tell it you now have a LAN that has an Internet connection? You can find it in IE in Tools -> Internet Options... ->

Connections and then click the Setup button.

good luck, Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

I have the same prob. I use a cell phone when traveling, and have a wifi at home. Seems to be an undocumented "feature" (grrrr) of SP2. Started doing that AFTER I did the upgrade. No solution yet, but just thought I'd chime in with someone else having the same problem.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Really have no idea/solution (YET!, but I will perservere!)... I have tried various combo of things (have Norton Systems/Norton Firewall/SP2 Firewall), and even pulled em all.. As for the error, I have cable and a WiFi at home, but usually get that when I travel and use the cell phone, normally with Mobile Office, but I also tried it direct with Dial-up. People usually treat me like a stupid idiot that can't read, and tell me useless things to try that never work. Just wanted to let you know you AREN'T crazy (i've been told that quite a few times).. Others have that problem too.

Reply to
Peter Pan

On both computers I am running WinXP (service pack 2). I have been using a LAN for my connection for months before this started happening. Seems it just started after I had already been using my Wireless network for a few days and immediately after Networking the 2 computers. Thanks, John

Reply to
L'l John

I guess you didn't read all my message.

quoted from my original message: "But, since I set up Sharing between the computers, the Windows Dial-up connect box pops up. Each time I go into the connection settings and choose to "Never dial a connection" but it will not stick. It keeps changing back to "Dial whenever a network connection is not present".

I can remove my one dial-up connection but it is for using my Cellphone to be able to connect if and when Comcast Cable is not working and I would like to be able to keep it as before and not have to re-set it up when the need arises. Thanks, John

Reply to
L'l John

Yes, I use Windows Firewall. Would it keep popping up the dial-up connection?

Reply to
L'l John

Thanks, I never had this problem until after setting up Windows Networking w/ File and Printer sharing. Been using SP2 since it was made available and also using Cable connection for past 6 months. This just started this week. John

Reply to
L'l John

just open up Internet Explorer. At the top, click tools -> internet options. On the new window that pops up, click the Connections tab and there in the middle of that window you should see some radio buttons to click. Click the one that says "Never dial a connection". Alternatively, you can just select the dial-up connections in the box and click the remove button until they're all gone. Click ok out of everything and you're all set.

-Sh> I connect to the Internet with Comcast cable Modem. Always On!

Reply to
Shin

I had the problem too recently with my desktop computers on a D-Link 524 router. I just networked my computers and set every computer to share (2 desktops and 1 laptop).

2 computers running WinXPSP2 with ZoneAlarm are both wired to the router. After I included the range of IP addresses of the router in the "Trusted Zone" on both computers and selected "Never Dial......." (also checking the LAN settings to make sure no boxes are checked) I don't see that annoying window anymore. I am running AVG AntiVirus software. I am not running the Windows Firewall.

Maybe I am lucky.

later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Dave, I don't think you are particularly lucky, just that maybe I am unlucky. :-( I have unchecked the "Never Dial" box hundreds of times. It just keeps changing back before I need another web page when I am surfing. I have turned off Windows Firewall, but installed Zone Alarm. Actually, I tried it without any firewall. I have been using AVG Antivirus for over a year. Wish I could get lucky! John

Reply to
L'l John

I have scanned with Ad-Aware and Spysubtract with nothing but tracking cookies showing up. Finally I removed my cell phone modem from the list of dial-up connections, which was the only dial-up connection I had, and that stopped the problem. I had that installed for the past 6 months without any problems until I Networked my two computers. The desktop is the only one affected.

Reply to
L'l John

Shin, I just wanted to let you know that I finally followed your advice. Finally I removed my cell phone modem from the list of dial-up connections, which was the only dial-up connection I had, and that stopped the problem. I had that installed for the past 6 months without any problems until I Networked my two computers. The desktop is the only one affected. I will probably wait until my cable connections fowls up before reinstalling my Cell phone connection. Thanks, John

Reply to
L'l John

Have you scanned your system for spyware/adware?

Reply to
Beretta

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.