Netgear WGR614 firewall issues

I'm a newbie when it comes to wireless. I installed a Netgear WGR614 v.6 router, and eventually got it to work OK. I have only one other computer on my home network for now, a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop.

My questions:

1. I can't access the laptop and it can't access my PC when I have my Agnitum Outpost v 1.0 freeware firewall acitve on my desk PC. When I turn off Outpost, everything works OK. Do I really need Outpost on my PC now? Should I turn off Microsoft firewall on my laptop? It's already off on the PC.

1. If netgear installed its own firewall, how do I adjust its controls? Outpost would occasionally ASK me if I wanted my computer to access certain sites (mostly for updates). I haven't seen any such requests yet from Netgear. I see no icons on my desktop for it. The box says it has a double firewall (NAT and SPI), but as I installed netgear I don't recall seeing any info on it.

Thanks.

Reply to
46erjoe
Loading thread data ...

A wireless hacker can join your network on the wireless side and be all over the top of your machines wired or wireless if they are not protected properly. A personal FW/packet filter only allowing traffic between the two IP(s) used and blocking all other IP(s) on that router should be implemented.

And you're not going to see that either as software solutions running on routers and FW appliances don't have some kind of junk application control as do so many personal FW/packet filter solutions. The router is to protect the network or the LAN and the software on the router is not running on the computer with its O/S, like a personal FW/packet filter.

You're not going to see any either.

You should learn something about a NAT router as that is what you have that providing the protection from the Interne and is protecting the LAN. .

formatting link
Here are some other links about FW solutions host based software or appliance based, not a personal FW/packet filter as those are not FW solutions.

formatting link

formatting link
I don't consider NAT to be FW software, it's an *impersonator*. It's only mapping technology acting in a FW like manner by dropping unsolicited inbound traffic, no machine behind the router made a solicitation for traffic from a remote IP and that inbound traffic is dropped by NAT.

Some wireless security stuff

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:13:35 GMT, 46erjoe wrote in :

Yes. The WGR614 is effective against some things (external attacks), but a software (aka personal) firewall is effective against other things (internal attacks, trojans trying to phone home).

No.

Use only one firewall on each computer.

What you need to do is open "holes" in your software firewalls for File and Printer Sharing. Consult the documentation for how to do that.

Through the web (browser) interface.

You won't -- you have to do it manually -- but you probably won't ever need to.

You'd have to create it yourself.

NAT *isn't* a firewall. SPI *is* a firewall, and works pretty much automatically.

Reply to
John Navas

Or, to put that differently, the NAT router acts as some protection against attack from the other side of the router, but anyone who connects to your WiFi side is on "your" side of the protection, inside the wall.

I would configure for the two IPs of interest, and then configure the firewall so that the same addresses are always given to those two MAC addresses via "address reservation" in the Netgear.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.